Consistently ranked among the top international arbitration practices in Singapore, our award winning team has built its reputation on consistently providing clients with top-quality service and practical commercial solutions.
Depth and Breadth of experience
The collective strength and experience of the international arbitration practice is unparalleled in Asia. Having dealt with over 600 arbitration matters in Singapore, Asia and elsewhere since 2013, the practice is well equipped to deal with even the most demanding and challenging arbitrations, whatever its substantive governing law.
Our experience spans oil fields in Africa to drill ships and oil rigs in Singapore; steel plants in the Philippines to power infrastructure in Malaysia; submarine telecommunication cables connecting China to the United States, to base transmission telecommunication systems in Indonesia; power plants in China to coal mines in Indonesia; Pan-Asian vehicular franchises to car distribution agreements in Singapore; long term hotel management contracts in Indonesia to hospitality resort projects in India and land reclamation projects to billion dollar port disputes, among others.
We have been involved in the most complex cross border commercial and construction related arbitration disputes, whether involving Singapore law or different regional laws, such as Australian law, Indonesian law, Thai law, Indian law, Philippine law, Japanese law, Chinese law and Malaysian law, as well as shipping and admiralty disputes, and have been able to draw on an immense wealth of talent and experience to deal with and successfully deliver on such matters.
Uniquely for an Asian firm, there is a dedicated and sizeable core group of partners and associates in the International Arbitration Practice in addition to other arbitration/dispute practitioners in specialised fields across the firm, with even the ability to conduct Chinese language arbitrations. The team’s talent pool is augmented by foreign lawyers as well as dual qualified advocates.
Cases typically arise where the subject matter of the dispute is situated in foreign jurisdictions, with substantial foreign law elements and a mechanism for arbitration in Singapore or elsewhere.
We draw on our excellent worldwide contacts and our network of foreign lawyers in the firm’s regional offices to put together the strongest possible legal team to deal with the relevant issues, the best strategies for the case and the most compelling reliefs which may be sought under the relevant laws whilst minimising any real risk of challenges to any successful arbitral awards which we may obtain.
Members of the team have been retained as arbitrators, advisors and / or counsel on arbitrations conducted under the auspices of the world’s leading arbitration institutions, including:
- The Permanent Court of Arbitration
- The International Court of Arbitration of the ICC
- The London Court of International Arbitration
- The American Arbitration Association
- The Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre
- The Singapore International Arbitration Centre
- The China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission
- The Asian International Arbitration Centre (formerly known as The Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration)
- The Thai Arbitration Institute
- The Society of Maritime Arbitrators
In terms of geographical spread, we have been involved in some of the largest and most complex international arbitrations not only across the region, but also in diverse areas in Asia, America and Europe, including London, New York, Geneva, Singapore, Hong Kong, Thailand, Malaysia, Cambodia, Taiwan, Pakistan and the Philippines.
We have also acted for or against governments and government-linked entities across the world, including Australia, Philippines, Maldives, Kazakhstan, Madagascar, Brunei, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand, often in investor-state arbitration disputes.
Thanks to the diversity of the clients we work with, we have in-depth knowledge of a wide variety of industries. We routinely handle disputes involving complex and multi-layered legal and factual issues, often working in close collaboration with industry experts and specialists in state-of-the-art technology.
Our practice has worked on disputes in the following areas:
- Building projects including residential, industrial, mixed-development and commercial building projects;
- Corporate and commercial matters, such as complex cross-border joint venture and shareholder disputes, banking, finance, insurance, regulatory, distributorship and employment disputes;
- Energy and Resources including power stations, power purchase and connection agreements;
- Infrastructure and civil engineering projects such as airports, railways, ports, highways, suspension bridges, tunnels and sewerage systems;
- Maritime and shipbuilding contracts;
- Oil and gas (upstream and downstream);
- Telecommunications networks, infrastructure and sales; and
- Water, oil, coal and other mining concessions