Paul Ng, who has more than 30 years of practice experience in Aviation, joins Rajah & Tann Singapore.
Paul has helmed some of the largest, most complex and first-of-its-kind aviation transactions in the sector involving asset-backed financing and bond issuances, multi-billion-dollar aircraft acquisitions and IPOs. He also regularly advises clients on the leasing of aviation, maritime assets, rolling stock and other moveable assets, tax-based finance, Islamic finance and export credit, among others.
Paul has acted for major investors lenders, operating and finance lessors, borrowers, lessees/airlines and arrangers in a wide range of banking, finance and leasing transactions in Asia, Europe and the US.
A true senior statesman in the legal industry for aviation and transport, Paul has been named “Best of the Best” Top 30 Aviation Practitioners in the world by Who’s Who Legal, Paul is consistently recognised as a leading lawyer for Aviation: Finance in Chambers Asia Pacific, where clients described him as “simply fantastic”. In the latest edition of Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2023 clients have been quoted saying that Paul has the rare ability to “formulate solutions that do not just work from a legal perspective, but which are commercial and can bring a positive outcome for clients”. Not surprisingly, Business Today in July 2023 listed Paul as one of the Top 10 most influential aviation finance lawyers revolutionizing the Asia-Pacific Region.
An esteemed player in the aviation industry, Paul is an Executive Committee member of the prestigious legal advisory panel of the Aviation Working Group consisting leading manufacturers such as Boeing, Airbus and other capital providers and lessors to the aircraft sector. He also leads its South East Asia Country Contact Group.
Paul is an accredited specialist mediator in transport and aviation with the Singapore International Mediation Centre. He also serves as a member of the Legal Advisory Board to the Hague Court of Arbitration for Aviation (HCAA) and in 2023, he was appointed to Co-chair of the HCAA’s Meditation Standing Committee.
Paul is a visiting Research Scholar / Researcher of the University of Cambridge, Commercial Law Studies Centre and has also recently been appointed an Academic Fellow of the Centre of Banking and Finance, of the Faculty of Law at the National University of Singapore where he is an Adjunct Professor teaching Aviation Finance. He is also an active guest lecturer of the Faculty of Business at NYU Shanghai, China’s first Sino-US research university.
Paul has also been invited to speak at major aviation and asset finance conferences globally on issues of the day, including the largest conference for the sector, the Dublin Airfinance Conference.
Attesting to his leadership in the aviation space, Paul served as Contributing Editor of The Legal 500’s International Comparative Guide for Aviation for the last three years. Through his time in practice, Paul has also contributed frequently to key industry periodicals in the region and internationally including FinanceAsia, China Law & Practice, Asian Legal Business, Airfinance Journal, IFLR1000, Corporate Jet Investor and Jetgala.
Paul is often sought out for his insights on the transportation market by various government agencies across Asia, and media outlets including BBC, Channel NewsAsia, Reuters, Bloomberg and the Financial Times.
- Acted for AirAsia, the largest low-cost carrier in Asia, in the largest portfolio sale of aircraft and aircraft engines to BBAM valued at US$2.8 billion.
- Acted for PT Lion Mentari, the largest carrier in Indonesia, in its US$24 billion acquisition of over 230 Airbus aircraft – one of the largest commercial aircraft orders of all time.
- Acted as underwriter’s counsel in Vietjet’s IPO – the largest in Vietnamese history.
- Acted for Carlyle Aviation in the largest acquisition of a Chinese leasing company, China Minsheng Investment’s aircraft leasing platform of over 35 Boeing and Airbus aircrafts.
- Acted for China’s Bank of Communication Financial Leasing, China Construction Bank Leasing, China Aviation Leasing, and Carlyle Aviation and others in the US$10 billion debt restructuring of Garuda’s, Indonesia’s national carrier.
- Executive Committee member, Aviation Working Group and Coordinator of the South East Asia Country Contact Group.
- Co-Chair of the Mediation Standing Committee of the Hague Court of Arbitration for Aviation; and member of the Legal Advisory Board.
- Accredited Specialist Mediator in Transport and Aviation, Singapore International Mediation Centre.
- Deputy Vice President (Asia), Federation Internationale de I’Automobile; and National Steward for Singapore Formula 1 Grand Prix, 2023.
- Board of Directors of Singapore Ballet (the National Ballet Company of Singapore).
- Member of the Advisory Board of the International (Aircraft) Registry (under the Convention on International Interests in Mobile Equipment (Aircraft Protocol 2001).
- Member of the Advisory Board for the Asia Pacific Region for Airfinance Journal (the leading international journal for aircraft leasing and financing).