Yong Hong’s key areas of practice are in international trade and “dry” shipping work (including charterparty and bill of lading disputes). His expertise also extends to shipbuilding contracts, ship sale and purchase contracts, maritime collisions, letters of credit, and maritime insolvency. Yong Hong regularly advises on both contentious and non-contentious matters.
Apart from appearing in the Singapore Courts, Yong Hong has also acted as counsel in international arbitrations, both ad hoc and institutional (namely SIAC, SCMA, LMAA, and LCIA).
Yong Hong also has experience as in-house counsel, having spent one-and-a-half years as Corporate Counsel for Asia Pacific and Middle East with BDP International, a US multinational logistics company.
- Acted for a major oil rig operator in a US105 million claim brought in the Singapore Courts against the hirer of a rig for breach of its obligations in a rig hire transaction
- Advised and acted for shipyards and owners in various newbuilding disputes, including a dispute in connection with owners’ right to refuse delivery of a vessel valued at US$110 million
- Acted for Chinese buyers in an LMAA arbitration to defend against sellers’ US$11 million claim under a ship sale and purchase contract
- Acted for Singaporean shipowners in a US$8 million claim against Taiwanese charterers arising in connection with the charter of a trailer suction dredger
- Acting for Singaporean shipowners in an LMAA arbitration to defend a US$2 million claim by charterers for the alleged cargo contamination of a clean petroleum product cargo on board the shipowners’ vessel
- Acted for a European bank in mortgage enforcement proceedings against a bunker barge in connection with a US$13 million loan
- Acted for Greek disponent owners to obtain an anti-suit injunction against Singaporean sub-charterers in connection with sub-charterers’ failure to pay sub-freights
- Acted for shipowners to obtain an anti-suit injunction from the Singapore Courts to enjoin bill of lading holders from continuing Sri Lankan court proceedings in breach of a Singapore arbitration clause
- Advised and acted for Chinese shipowners to prevent the unauthorized disposal of their vessel by bareboat charterers
- Advised and acted in various “wet shipping” cases (including vessel collisions and damage to undersea cables).
- Advised Singaporean sellers of urea in connection with a US$17 million claim brought against them by Indian buyers for alleged quality defects
- Acted in LCIA proceedings for Chinese sellers in a US$5 million claim against Korean buyers in connection with the sale and purchase of steam coal
- Acted for Singaporean sellers in Singapore Court proceedings to defend a USD1.3 million claim for non-delivery under a sale contract for iron ore fines
- Acted for Chinese sellers to obtain a Mareva Injunction by the Singapore Court against their buyers to prevent dissipation of assets pending the determination of the sellers’ claim against buyers in Singapore arbitration proceedings
- Advised Singaporean sellers on issues of force majeure and frustration in a dispute arising from non-delivery under contracts for the sale and purchase of Indonesian coal after severe flooding in Indonesia in 2011
- Advised and acted for a high net worth individual from India in a US$200 million claim against an associate for fraudulent misappropriation of assets and breach of trust
- Acted for a warehousing company (in liquidation) to investigate the dissipation of its assets prior to its winding up
- Advised Malaysian bunker suppliers in connection with claims brought against them by ING / OW for the price of bunkers (arising in connection with the liquidation of OW)
- Valency International Trading Pte Ltd v Alton International Resources Pte Ltd  SGHC 50
- Valency International Trading Pte Ltd v Alton International Resources Pte Ltd  SGHC 119
- Transocean Offshore International Ventures Ltd v Burgundy Global Exploration 3 SLR 1017
- Serifica Rogelio T and Ors v Transocean Offshore International Ventures Ltd 3 SLR 1040
Memberships / Directorships
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law