With more than a decade’s experience devoted to the practice of insurance law, Ying Shuang has worked on a wide variety of matters which typically involves complex insurance coverage disputes, recoveries and defence work.
As Ying Shuang prides hereself for not only being able to provide in-depth specialised knowledge of the insurance industry, but also a wide breadth of the type of work to cover different facets of the industry, her expertist is not limited to dispute work. Ying Shuang also advises on insurance regulatory issues and transactional work.
Ying Shuang has recently been recognised as Lawyer of the Year for Insurance at the Women in Business Law Awards Asia-Pacific 2020.
For contentious work, Ying Shuang has advised and acted for major insurance companies in Singapore in policy disputes for various classes of insurance, including Contractors’ All Risk, Industrial All Risk and Machinery Breakdown, Property Damage, Business Interruption, Product Liability and Professional Indemnity. She advises insurers on policy coverage issues and acts for them in recovery actions. She also acts for the insureds in defending third party claims. Ying Shuang’s litigation and arbitration experience also extends to commercial disputes.
As for non-contentious matters, Ying Shuang has assisted clients (including general, captive, life and marine mutual insurers and reinsurers) in the review and drafting of insurance policies, setting up of insurance business in Singapore, registration and de-registration of their license with the Monetary Authority of Singapore, sale and purchase of insurance business and the portfolio transfer of their business. She frequently advises insurance companies and intermediaries on insurance compliance and regulatory issues.
- Advised and represented insurers in the Singapore High Court in a policy coverage dispute arising from an insured’s claim in excess of S$10 million under a Fire Industrial All Risks Insurance policy for alleged property damage and business interruption losses suffered by the insured at its chemical manufacturing plant.
- Represented the Land Transport Authority on instructions of underwriters in the first merit hearing of a claim for damage due to MRT construction work before the LTA Compensation Board and successfully defending the award on review to the High Court of Singapore in 2016.
- Advised insurers on policy coverage issues under Professional Indemnity policies in relation to potential claims against intermediaries due to the sale of financial products linked to Lehman Brothers.
- Advised insurers on policy coverage issues under a Contaminated Products Insurance policy in relation to the contamination of the insured’s vitamins and health supplement products.
- Advised insurers on potential exposure under an Industrial All Risks Policy for alleged business interruption losses estimated at S$12 million arising from flash fire at oil tanks.
- Represented an insurance broker (on instructions from insurers) to defend a High Court suit brought by the broker’s client for alleged failure to properly advise on the placement of a trade credit insurance policy, which was eventually avoided for material non-disclosure.
- Acting for insurers to defend proceedings in a High Court claim brought by a Swiss private banker for the sum of S$33 million for due to traumatic brain injuries sustained after an accident. The matter involves complex issues of law and fact.
- Acted for Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Plc for their sale and transfer of insurance business in Singapore to Allied World Assurance Company.
- Advised and acted for AXA insurance group in its acquisition of the insurance portfolio of the HSBC group. This is a global deal covering, amongst others, Singapore and Hong Kong and the aggregate deal value is USD494 million.
- Advised and acted for Catalina Reinsurance in the acquisition of Asia Capital Reinsurance. The entire deal (which spans a number of jurisdictions) is valued at approximately S$3 billion.
- Pacific Chemicals Pte Ltd v MSIG Insurance (Singapore) Pte Ltd and Another  1 SLR 324
- JBE Properties Pte Ltd and Another v Handy Investments Pte Ltd and Another  SGHC 184
- Hermes Capital Limited v Mark Anthony Tonta  SGDC 267
- Tan Joon Wei Wesley v Lee Kim Wei  SGHCR 24
Memberships / Directorships
- Committee Member, Insurance Law Association of Singapore
- Co-author of the Insurance chapter of Lexis Practical Guidance Singapore – Commercial Module
- Co-author of the Singapore chapter of Chambers Global Practice Guide: Insurance & Reinsurance]
- Co-author of Halsbury’s Singapore Volume on Insurance