Chew Xiang is a partner in the Firm’s Restructuring & Insolvency practice group.
He was formerly a journalist and served as a Justices’ Law Clerk before joining Rajah & Tann Singapore LLP in 2015.
Chew Xiang has experience in a range of commercial disputes, shareholder fights, and contentious restructuring and insolvency matters. He was placed on the Supreme Court’s Young Amicus Curiae Scheme in 2017.
Litigation and other disputes
- Acted for a Singapore-listed company against former directors for breach of fiduciary duties, diversion of business opportunities, and secret profits.
- Acted for a securities brokerage in a claim against a securities trading customer for multi-million dollar contra losses.
- Acted for the estate of a Singapore politician in an application for determination of rights under an interview agreement.
- Acted for the management council of an industrial property against a subsidiary proprietor for defamation.
- Acted for a solar energy company in an action against a competitor for defamation and conspiracy.
- Acted for a multinational rubber company against its joint venture company in a multi-jurisdictional dispute.
- Acted for a golf club in an appeal against a compensation award arising from an acquisition under the Land Acquisition Act.
- Acted for the Singapore subsidiary of a Shanghai-listed company in a claim against a former director for breach of fiduciary duties.
Restructuring & Insolvency
- Acted for a creditor in a successful contest against a scheme of application filed by a shipping company.
- Acted for the Singapore subsidiaries of a foreign listed construction conglomerate in applications for schemes of arrangement and subsequently judicial management.
- Acted for a Singapore-listed furnishings company in a members’ scheme of arrangement as part of the privatisation of the company.
- Acted for a Singapore company listed on NASDAQ in a members’ scheme of arrangement as part of the acquisition of the company.
- Acted for a Singapore-listed marine and offshore services provider in applications for schemes of arrangement.
- Acted for judicial managers of a Singapore-listed marine and offshore services company.
- Acted for liquidators of a Cayman islands company in relation to a fraud claim and injunctive relief against its former directors and controllers.
- Trisuryo Garuda Nusa Pte Ltd v SKP Pradiksi (North) Sdn Bhd and another and another appeal  2 SLR 814
- Lee Wei Ling and another v Attorney-General  2 SLR 786
- Southern Realty (Malaya) Sdn Bhd v Chen Jia Fu Darren (alias Tan Suryo) and others  5 SLR 1307
- Lee Wei Ling and another v Attorney-General  5 SLR 902
- Re Sembawang Engineers and Constructors Pte Ltd  3 SLR 1057
- SKP Pradiksi (North) Sdn Bhd and another v Trisuryo Garuda Nusa Pte Ltd  SGHC 200
- Re Punj Lloyd Pte Ltd and another matter  SGHC 321
- Re Sembawang Engineers and Constructors Pte Ltd  SGHC 250
- Member, Rules of Court working party
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Co-author, Singapore chapter, Chambers Global Practice Guide on Insolvency (2016)