Tze Phern is a partner with the Commercial Litigation and International Arbitration practices. He advises and acts for local and international institutions and individuals in a wide range of commercial disputes.
Tze Phern has handled complex cross border litigation and international arbitration matters across a broad spectrum of industries. He has particular experience in financial and insurance related litigation, debt recovery, employment, professional negligence, joint venture and shareholders’ disputes. Tze Phern was also seconded to the Global Disputes Team of an international bank where he managed the bank’s high value disputes, financial crime compliance and government/regulatory investigations in the Asia Pacific Region.
Tze Phern was an Adjunct Faculty member at the National University of Singapore, Faculty of Law, where he taught the Legal Skills Programme. He also teaches the Ethics and Professional Responsibility Course at the Singapore Institute of Legal Education.
Notable Cases & Transactions
- Acting for a global resources company in defending allegations of market manipulation and breach of the Singapore Securities & Futures Act before the Singapore High Court and Court of Appeal.
- Acting for an Australian public listed coal company and its subsidiaries in a US$800 million joint venture dispute in respect of a coal production and upgrading plant in Indonesia before the Singapore International Commercial Court.
- Acting as instructed counsel for Serbian companies in complex US$17 million garnishee proceedings involving a Yugoslavian state-owned company and a Panamanian special purpose company before the Singapore Court of Appeal.
- Acting for a Singapore professional institute in resisting a claim of conspiracy, unlawful interference with trade, and alleged breach of the Singapore Competition Act by a technology start-up before the Singapore High Court.
- Acting for a global insurance company in recovering monies from its agency force as part of the company’s debt recovery exercise. Acting for the same company in defending claims by its former financial directors for alleged negligence in providing Industry Reference Checks before the Singapore High Court.
- Acting for a high net-worth individual in obtaining Mareva injunctions and resisting stay of proceedings in US$15 million and US$6 million debt recovery claims before the Singapore High Court.
- Acting for an Australian public listed gaming company and its subsidiaries in a US$240 million SIAC arbitration and related appeal proceedings before the Singapore International Commercial Court in relation to a casino, gaming and hospitality project dispute in Cambodia.
- Acting for a wholly owned subsidiary of a Sovereign Wealth Fund against the Economic Development Board of an ASEAN country in resisting a S$40 million SIAC arbitration claim in relation to a construction dispute involving a FIDIC contract.
- Acting as instructed counsel for a subsidiary of an Indian E&C conglomerate in resisting a US$35 million ICC arbitration claim in respect of a process platform subcontract involving a leading middle eastern EPC company.
- Acting for the Indian subsidiary of a global contract mining company in resisting a US$175 million ad hoc arbitration claim in respect of a sub-contract for coal mining works in India.
- Acting for a Cambodian bank in LCIA arbitration proceedings in respect of alleged breaches of online banking and credit card software licensing and professional services contracts.
- Anil Singh Gurm v J S Yeh & Co and another  SGCA 5
- TMT Asia Limited v BHP Billiton Marketing AG (Singapore Branch) and another  2 SLR 710;  SGCA 60
- BXY and others v BXX and others  4 SLR 413;  SGHC(I) 11
- BCBC Singapore Pte Ltd and another v PT Bayan Resources TBK and another  3 SLR 1 (SICC);  SGHC(I) 1
- TMT Asia Limited v BHP Billiton Marketing AG (Singapore Branch) and another  5 SLR 69;  SGHC 228
- Anil Singh Gurm v J S Yeh & Co and another  SGHC 221
- BCBC Singapore Pte Ltd and another v PT Bayan Resources TBK and another  5 SLR 77;  SGHC(I) 6
- BCBC Singapore Pte Ltd and another v PT Bayan Resources TBK and another  4 SLR 1;  SGHC(I) 1
- The State-Owned Company Yugoimport SDPR (also known as Jugoimport-SDPR) v Westacre Investments Inc and other appeals  5 SLR 372;  SGCA 51
- Nava Bharat (Singapore) Pte Ltd v Straits Law Practice LLC and another and another appeal  2 SLR 928;  SGCA 12
- Abdul Rashid bin Abdul Manaf v Hii Yii Ann  SGHCR 1
- Abdul Rashid bin Abdul Manaf v Hii Yii Ann  4 SLR 1042;  SGHC 194
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Co-Author, Chapter on “Proceedings in the Singapore International Commercial Court, Civil Litigation in Singapore”, Sweet & Maxwell (2016)