Tao Tao is a Partner with the firm’s Commercial Litigation Practice. He has an active practice in litigation and arbitration, with a particular focus on complex commercial disputes and matters with Chinese elements.
Tao Tao has handled cases in all levels of Singapore courts. His practice covers a broad range of areas, including shareholders’ disputes, investment disputes, sale of goods, defamation, bankruptcy and insolvency, trust, employment, and property disputes. Tao Tao also handles non-contentious legal work such as wills and probate, drafting of agreements and advisory work.
Born and raised in China, Tao Tao has spent nearly two decades living in Singapore and is effectively bilingual in English and Mandarin Chinese. His proficiency in the Chinese language and his familiarity with Chinese culture give him an extra edge in advising clients from the Greater China region. Tao Tao regularly handles matters involving Chinese clients or Chinese elements.
Notable Cases & Transactions:
- Acting for a multinational insurer in a multimillion-dollar High Court suit against a former agency leader for breach of contractual and fiduciary duties for soliciting a large group of insurance agents to join a competitor.
- Acting in a multimillion-dollar High Court suit brought by a Chinese national for alleged breach of trust relating to transfers of money and property.
- Acting for a group of Chinese companies and their key executives in a defamation suit in the High Court.
- Acting for a tech company in a suit against a former employee for breach of confidence and defamation and to defend a concurrent claim of wrongful dismissal.
- Acting for a foreign company in a High Court suit against a supplier of personal protective equipment for breach of contract and fraudulent misrepresentation.
- Acting for a high-net-worth individual in a multimillion-dollar High Court suit against a company listed on SGX in respect of the recovery of a shareholder’s loan.
- Acting for a high-net-worth individual in a High Court suit against a Cayman Islands fund in an investment dispute.
- Acting for a subsidiary of a multinational company listed on the NYSE in a High Court suit and in the subsequent appeal to the Court of Appeal concerning the supply of allegedly defective goods.
- Acting for a media company in defending a High Court suit for online defamation arising from a news article.
- Acting for a landlord of a shopping centre in a High Court suit against a well-known retailer in respect of breach of a commercial lease.
- Acting in a multimillion-dollar international arbitration in Singapore under the UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules relating to the supply of goods by a Chinese company.
- Acting in a Singapore International Arbitration Centre arbitration relating to the distribution of electronic products.
- Acting as instructing counsel in an arbitration at the Shanghai International Arbitration Center in a dispute over a fraudulent transaction.
Bankruptcy and Insolvency
- Acting for a bankrupt in an application to the High Court (and in the subsequent appeal to the Court of Appeal) for a review of the Official Assignee’s refusal to expunge a proof of debt lodged by a company which has since been struck off.
- Acting for a Chinese artist against an art gallery in Singapore in an application to the High Court to set aside a Statutory Demand.
- Acting for a high-net-worth individual in a multimillion-dollar High Court suit and a related bankruptcy application arising from the sale of a landed property.
Reported and Unreported Judgments
- Prudential Assurance Company Singapore (Pte) Ltd v Peter Tan Shou Yi and another  SGHC 109
- Xu Zhigang v Wang Fang  SGHC 254
- Lee Chen Seong Jeremy v Official Assignee  2 SLR 820;  SGCA 51
- Inzign Pte Ltd v Associated Spring Asia Pte Ltd  SGHC 147
- Co-author (with Burton Ong), Chapter on “Competition Law and Industrial Policy in China”, Competition Law and Intellectual Property in China, published by Oxford University Press (2019)
- Co-author (with Xu Shiying), Chapter on “Monopoly Agreements, Trade Associations and Competition Culture in China”, Cartels in Asia: Law & Practice, published by Wolters Kluwer Hong Kong Limited (2015)
- Member, Singapore Academy Of Law
- Member, Law Society of Singapore