Shuhei has extensive experience in regulatory areas, both from the regulator / enforcement side as well as from the private practice side. Shuhei brings to the practice a unique range of capabilities and experience in enforcement, investigation, litigation, risk management, governance, compliance, accounting & tax, and business.
Shuhei began his career as a Public Prosecutor in Japan, servicing for almost 8 years leading investigations and prosecutions of many economic and corporate cases, and then as a counsel and risk management consultant at a global risk management consulting firm, providing advisory services in areas of regulatory compliance, including anti-corruption, competition law and corporate governance.
At Rajah & Tann Singapore, Shuhei continues to work for Japanese and other companies in M&A, joint ventures, general corporate, employment, competition law, anti-corruption, corporate investigations, and dispute resolution. Shuhei works for various Japanese companies as they expand into Asia and face new challenges in the region.
His experience includes:
- Advised on cartel allegation cases related to Japanese companies regarding international cartels.
- Advised on merger notifications for Japanese companies regarding mergers and joint ventures in Singapore and other countries in the region.
- Advised on Personal Data Protection Act in Singapore, drafting compliance manuals and conducting employee trainings.
- Established competition law and anti-corruption compliance program for various Japanese companies, also providing trainings to employees and executives.
- Conducted company investigations on corruptions and misconducts by key employees in ASEAN region, also supporting local management report to Japan Headquarters.
- Advised on M&As by Japanese companies as they expand into Asia.
- Drafted and reviewed various commercial contracts, including sale and purchase, distribution, joint venture, and sale and purchase of shares.
- Advised on corporate law and employment law matters for various Japanese companies.
- Advised on disputes in various industries including manufacturing, construction, shipping and services.
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Dai-ichi Tokyo Bengoshikai Bar Association, Japan
- Member, American Bar Association, USA
- Associate Member, Japan Institute of Certified Public Accountants