Max is a Partner of Rajah & Tann practicing in the areas of commercial litigation and arbitration with a particular focus on shipping, maritime and commodities matters.
He advises and acts for corporates, banks, funds, insurers, trading houses among others on commercial matters and on their most challenging problems. He regularly appears as counsel before the court and international arbitration tribunals and has secured significant victories for his clients. He is also adept at dealing with crisis situations and finding effective solutions.
Max’s practice often has a cross-border dimension, leveraging on the Firm’s regional footprint. He has specialist experience in Southeast Asia, South Asia, China, Middle East and Africa, Australia, UK and Europe. He also brings with him fluency in Mandarin, both written and spoken.
Max graduated from the National University of Singapore and was placed twice on the Dean’s List for outstanding academic performance.
Aside from practice, Max is Professor at a global management school. He also teaches classes in arbitration and civil litigation as part of the Singapore Bar Preparatory Course.
He is frequently invited to speak at industry-specific events and by publications and media outlets to provide his views on topics relating to shipping, global trade, and commodities.
His recent work highlights include:
- Acting successfully for a trade finance bank in the cross-jurisdictional pursuit and recovery of multi-million dollar claims, in the wake of the collapse of a substantial commodities player. This included ship arrests and a series of London maritime arbitrations.
- Acting successfully for a Chinese trading house in a warehouse fraud claim in excess of US$40 million.
- Acting successfully for a ship finance bank in a successful enforcement mortgage before the Singapore Court that was concluded from arrest to payment out in record time.
- Acting successfully for an Indonesian tin producer-trader in a cargo fraud and misdelivery action before the Singapore Court.
- Acting successfully for tanker owners to re-possess their vessel in China from recalcitrant bareboat charterers, and in related maritime arbitration proceedings.
- Acting successfully for shipowners in a complex maritime arbitration (SCMA) under a bareboat charterparty securing a substantial award of damages.
- Acting successfully for East Asian shipowning concern in securing substantial recovery against charterers for wrongful termination of a long-term charter, and in related ship arrest action.
- Acting successfully for shipowners in fending off claims/allegations of misdelivery of RBD palm oil cargoes.
- Acting successfully for an oil trader against its counterparty in high-value pre-insolvency and subsequent insolvency-related proceedings.
- Advising and representing traders, cargo owners, and tanker owners in various high-value, complex oil contamination claims.
- Acting successfully for a global commodity player in substantial claims under a letter of credit against the issuing bank.
- Advising and acting for various liquidators, restructuring managers and turnaround consultants on shipping and trade-related issues.
- Advising a Chinese shipyard on its termination dispute with buyers relating to the construction and delivery of a jack-up drilling rig.
- Advising and representing marine asset owners in technical structural damage claims.
- Acting successfully for a container line in defending claims following a large-scale grounding incident off-Hong Kong.
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Professor, SP Jain School of Global Management
- Member, Russian Maritime Law Association