Max practices in the areas of commercial litigation and arbitration, focusing on shipping and commodities matters.
Max graduated from the National University of Singapore and was placed twice on the Dean’s List for academic excellence.
He is fluent in Mandarin, both written and spoken.
Aside from practice, Max presently teaches classes in international arbitration and civil litigation as part of the Preparatory Course leading to Part B of the Singapore Bar Examinations. He is also frequently invited to speak at industry-specific events and by publications and media outlets to provide his views on topics relating to shipping and commodities.
His recent work highlights include:
- Acting successfully for a trade finance bank in the cross-jurisdictional pursuit and recovery of multi-million dollar claims, in the wake of the collapse of a substantial commodities player.
- Acting successfully for a Chinese trading house in a warehouse fraud claim in excess of US$40 million.
- Acting successfully for an Indonesian tin producer-trader in a cargo fraud and misdelivery action.
- Acting successfully for tanker owners to re-possess their vessel in China from recalcitrant bareboat charterers, and in related arbitration proceedings.
- Acting successfully for shipowners in a complex bareboat charterparty arbitration securing a substantial award of damages.
- Acting successfully for East Asian shipowning concern in securing substantial recovery against charterers for wrongful termination of a long-term charter.
- Acting successfully for shipowners in fending off claims/allegations of misdelivery of RBD palm oil cargoes.
- Acting successfully for an oil trader against its counterparty in high-value pre-insolvency and subsequent insolvency-related proceedings.
- Advising and representing traders, cargo owners, and tanker owners in various high-value, complex oil contamination claims.
- Acting successfully for a global commodity player in substantial claims under a letter of credit against the issuing bank.
- Advising and acting for various liquidators, restructuring managers and turnaround consultants on shipping and trade-related issues.
- Advising a Chinese shipyard on its termination dispute with buyers relating to the construction and delivery of a jack-up drilling rig.
- Advising and representing marine asset owners in technical structural damage claims.
- Acting successfully for a container line in defending claims following a large-scale grounding incident off-Hong Kong.
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Law Society of Singapore