Matthew practices primarily in the sphere of international arbitration and construction law. He has experience in arbitrations conducted under various arbitration rules, statutory adjudication of construction disputes under the Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act, as well as in general commercial litigation.
He was appointed by the Ministry of Law to serve as an assessor under the COVID-19 (Temporary Measures) Act 2020.
- Acted for the claimant, a company incorporated in the British Virgin Islands, in an SIAC arbitration conducted under the expedited procedure in relation to disputes arising from agreements concerning the sale and export of bauxite from Indonesia, with the sum in dispute exceeding US$1.5 million.
- Acted for Taiwanese and Hong Kong plaintiffs in court proceedings to successfully recognize and enforce an ICC arbitration award in excess of S$3 million against a Singaporean company and representing plaintiffs in subsequent execution proceedings.
- Acted for Indian respondents in an arbitration in court proceedings to successfully partially set aside and resist enforcement of an ICC arbitration award with an award sum in excess of US$500 million on the basis of public policy.
- Acted for a South Korean respondent in an emergency arbitration conducted under the ICC arbitration rules, as well as related court proceedings, to successfully resist an injunction on a call against a performance bond.
- Advised a multinational telecommunications corporation in relation to the possible commencement of investor-State arbitration proceedings against an Asian State in relation to licenses for the use and operation of radio spectrums.
- Acting for a United Kingdom company, who is the respondent in an appeal in the Singapore courts against a tribunal’s decision upholding jurisdiction, as well as the respondent in an application for disclosure of documents into a related arbitration. Client is the claimant in an investor-State arbitration against an Asian State, which is the subject of the Singapore court proceedings.
- Acting for a Dutch company, who was the successful claimant in an investor-State arbitration against a South American State conducted under the ICSID Convention, in the recognition and enforcement of the arbitral award in Singapore.
Construction, Power, Oil & Gas
- Acted for the respondent in an SIAC arbitration in relation to disputes arising from scaffolding works on a cement silo in Singapore.
- Acted for the claimant, a Chinese company specializing in energy infrastructure, against an Indian company, in an ad hoc arbitration in Singapore arising from contracts from engineering, procurement and construction agreements for the construction of a power plant in India.
- Acted for the defendant in suit relating to the supply and installation of formwork in the construction of a warehouse in Singapore, with the suit being successfully settled in the defendant’s favour.
- Acted for the plaintiff in suit for the recovery of outstanding sums under a contract for the supply of liquefied petroleum gas.
- Acted for the defendant in suit relating to work carried out to rectify damages arising from soil settlement in the course of the construction of a private house.
- Acted for an architect in court proceedings relating to a dispute over certification of payment from an employer to a main contractor.
- Acted for a developer in court proceedings relating to claims for common area defects by the MCST of a freehold condominium development with more than 450 units.
- Advised a multinational telecommunications corporation in relation to disputes arising out of agreements for the construction and lease of telecommunications towers in a Southeast Asian State.
- Acting for the judicial managers of a Singapore offshore construction company in relation to various arbitrations seated in Mumbai in relation to offshore works in India, and the enforcement of awards arising out of these arbitrations.
- Acting for a contractor in an arbitration under the Singapore Institute of Architects Arbitration Rules against its upstream contractor in relation to works for the supply and installation of curtain walls.
- Acting for a construction company in an arbitration under the SIAC arbitration rules against its joint venture partner in relation to a project for the construction of a purpose-built food facility in Singapore.
- Advising a developer of an executive condominium with more than 600 units on delays and claims for liquidated damages arising out of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Acting for a major Japanese group of engineering companies against a Singapore listed company and its subsidiaries in the Singapore courts in relation to insolvency proceedings, proposed schemes of arrangement and restructuring of financing for a major plant project, as well as a related SIAC arbitration with approximately S$150 million in dispute.
- Acting for the respondents in SIAC arbitrations commenced by the claimant in relation to a housing project in a Southeast Asian country for the construction of several thousand homes.
- Acting for a secured creditor in relation to enforcement of its security over a power plant in Singapore.
- Advising a developer of a freehold condominium on disputes concerning delays to works and claims for liquidated damages arising out of a stop-work order imposed by the authorities and the COVID-19 pandemic
- Acted for respondent in defending a claim in excess of S$3 million in relation to demolition works done on a major shopping centre in Singapore and in adjudication review proceedings.
- Acted for respondent in defending a claim in relation to piling works done on a major shopping centre in Singapore.
- Acted for respondent in defending claims in relation to waterproofing works carried out in the construction of underground MRT stations.
- Acted for claimant in bringing a claim in excess of S$5.5 million in relation to ACMV works done in the construction of a shopping centre in Singapore, the claim being successfully settled in the claimant’s favour.
- Acted for claimant in bringing a claim in excess of S$18 million in relation to works done in the construction of a hospital in Singapore.
- Acted for claimant in bringing a successful claim for work done in relation to the design and construction of a private house in Singapore and in a related court proceeding to enforce the adjudication determination and resist the setting aside of said adjudication determination.
- Acted for a sub-contractor in bringing a successful claim in excess of S$62 million against its upstream EPC main contractor for works carried out in relation to a waste-to-energy plant.
- Advised the liquidator of a construction company in commencing adjudication proceedings against creditors of the said company.
Court and Adjudication Cases
- ASI Pte Ltd v ASJ Pte Ltd  SCAdjR 160
- BAZ v BBA and others and other matters  5 SLR 266
- Hauslab Design & Build Pte Ltd v Vinod Kumar Ramgopal Didwania  3 SLR 103
- R1 International Pte Ltd v Lonstroff AG  1 SLR 521
- Re Harish Salve and another matter  3 SLR 285
- Re Harish Salve and another appeal  1 SLR 345
- Republic of India v Vedanta Resources plc  SGHC 208
- Wang Sheng v Chen Guangfeng  SGHC 51
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Law Society of Singapore, Standing Committee for Public and International Law