Leong Hao specialises in commercial dispute resolution. He has advised and acted for clients in a wide range of commercial disputes, including investment disputes, shareholder disputes and technology-related disputes.
Leong Hao has experience advising clients in cross border litigation and international arbitration matters. As Leong Hao is effectively bilingual in English and Mandarin, Leong Hao regularly act for and advise mandarin speaking clients from Mainland China. Leong Hao also acts for one of the casinos in Singapore and has experience with both casino-related litigation and gaming regulations in Singapore.
In 2020, Leong Hao was seconded to the Asia Pacific Litigation department of an international bank where he had experience managing complex cross-border internal and regulatory investigations arising out of securities trading.
Notable Cases & Transactions
Matters of significance that Leong Hao has handled include:
- Acted for a security software company based in the United States of America in a dispute arising from a turnkey project for the design, supply, installation and commissioning of a Surveillance System to be used in a casino.
- Acted for the founder of a multimillion bio-technology company with business interest in both Singapore and PRC in a shareholders’ dispute.
- Acted for a Chinese investment company in a claim arising out of an unauthorized and fraudulent access of its IT/email systems.
- Acted for a Chinese association against a property developer for breach of a joint venture agreement.
- Acted for the majority shareholder of a multinational company specializing in inert gas systems in a shareholders’ dispute and a dispute as to the valuation of the company.
- Acted for the majority owners to obtain a collective sale order for the collective sale of a development with a site area of over 360,000 sqft for S$610million.
International Arbitration and arbitration-related litigation
- Acting for a weapons manufacturer based in the United States of America as claimant in an SIAC arbitration for a claim arising from a contract for the supply of a military drone system.
- Acted for an electronics manufacturer based in Holland as claimant in an SIAC arbitration for a claim arising from the breach of an original equipment manufacturing agreement for the supply and distribution of surface mounter machines used in the electronics industry.
- Acted for a listed commodities trading company in an arbitration seated in Malaysia against a respondent based in the United Arab Emirates.
- Acted for the owner of a steel plant in Philippines against the liquidator and secured creditors in applications to set aside an arbitral award made in Singapore.
Reported Court Judgments
- Chain Land Elevator Corp v FB Industries Pte Ltd and others  5 SLR 1336
- Lee Chen Seong Jeremy and others v Public Prosecutor  4 SLR 867
- Kok Yin Chong and others v Lim Hun Joo and others  2 SLR 46
- Werner Samuel Vuillemin v Oversea-Chinese Banking Corp Ltd  3 SLR 501
- Muthukumaran s/o Varthan and another v Kwong Kai Chung and others and another matter  1 SLR 1273
- AKN and another v ALC and others and other appeals  1 SLR 966
- AKN and another v ALC and others and other appeals  3 SLR 488
- Member, YSIAC
- Co-author, Chapter on “Judicial Review” in Lexis Practical Guidance (Singapore Dispute Resolution, 2016)