Joshua Seet is Partner in the firm's Competition & Antitrust and Trade practice.
Joshua has deep competition law experience firmly rooted in Asia. Having worked in top-ranked law firms in Singapore and Hong Kong over the last decade, he has handled merger filings, competition investigations and competition disputes for some of the largest international companies in Singapore, Mainland China and Hong Kong. He also has experience in trade matters in Singapore, including advising on import/export requirements, trading in strategic goods, and dealing with customs violations.
Joshua maintains an active interest in writing and has published widely in various national and international publications. His work has been nominated for the Antitrust Writing Awards.
Holding an LLM from King’s College London and an LLB from the National University of Singapore, Joshua is dual-qualified to practice in Singapore and Hong Kong.
Acted for Korean Air Lines on the Singapore competition law aspects of its joint venture with Delta Air Lines.
Acted for Singapore Airlines and Lufthansa in obtaining Singapore clearance for their airline JV.
Acted for ADB BVBA in obtaining Singapore merger clearance for its acquisition of Safegate International AB.
Acted for Airbus Asia and Singapore Airlines in obtaining Singapore merger clearance for their pilot training JV.
Advised Link REIT on the competition law related aspects of its USD 1.6 billion acquisition of various shopping mall assets in Singapore.
Acted for Illinois Tool Works to obtain Chinese merger clearance for its acquisition of MTS Systems’ Test & Simulation business. This was one of three China remedy cases in 2021.
Acted for Mylan N.V in obtaining Chinese merger control clearance for its USD 12 billion acquisition of Pfizer Inc’s generics drug business.
- Acted for Maxim in obtaining Chinese merger clearance for its USD 68 billion sale to Analog Devices, Inc.
- Acted for Dana Incorporated’s in obtaining Chinese merger clearance for its USD 2.3 billion global acquisition of Modine Manufacturing Company’s thermal-management business.
- Acted for Apollo Global Management in obtaining Chinese merger clearance for its USD 7.1 billion acquisition of Tenneco Inc.
- Acted for DuPont in obtaining Chinese merger clearance for its USD 2.3 billion acquisition of Laird Performance Materials.
- Acted for Rhône Capital, The Chatterjee Group and McDermott International in obtaining Chinese merger clearance for their USD 2.7 billion acquisition of the latter’s Lummus technology business.
- Successfully represented a private equity group and a major Chinese real estate developer in rectifying a series of transactions that failed to be notified in China.
Investigations & Disputes
- Acted for a poultry processer in a cartel investigation in the fresh chicken market in Singapore.
- Acted for a multinational bank in relation to rate rigging investigations in Singapore.
- Acted for an S&P 100 healthcare company in relation to a market study into the supply of formula milk in Singapore.
- Acted for a Japan-based bearings manufacturer in the Singapore regulator’s first international cartel investigation in the ball bearings manufacturing industry.
- Acted for a global entertainment company in an investigation into collusion and exclusivity practices in China.
- Acted for a consumer electronics company in its abuse of dominance lawsuit against a patent assertion entity in China.
- Advised a global semiconductor chip company on strategies in China to respond to a patent assertion entity’s wave of litigation globally.
- Advised a capacitor manufacturer in responding to damages claims from a Chinese industry association for alleged losses suffered by its members.
- Acted for a global pharmaceutical company in an investigation into excessive pricing allegations in China.
- Acted for aglobal music publishing company in an investigation into price gouging and price discrimination in its licensing of publishing rights in China.
- Acted for a food delivery platform in an investigation into the use of exclusivity and price parity provisions in Hong Kong.
- Acted for a major real estate developers in a Hong Kong investigation into price fixing in the hospitality sector.
- Acted for a Hong Kong listed conglomerate in an investigation into the use of restrictive car warranty terms in HongKong.
“Competition Law Treatment of Joint Ventures - China” Concurrences (November 2022)
“Disgruntled Employee; Exposed Company? Implications of the Hong Kong Competition Commission’s Revised Leniency Framework” Hong Kong Lawyer (May 2020)
“Antitrust Enforcement in the Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices Industry in China” CPI Antitrust Chronicles (March 2020)
“Understanding the Appreciability Requirement under Singapore Competition Law” Journal of Antitrust Enforcement (26 August 2019)
“Understanding the Legality of Bid-rigging and Joint Tendering under the Competition Ordinance” Hong Kong Lawyer (December 2018)
“Developing Object Restrictions in Singapore Competition Law” World Competition 41, no. 1 (2018): 101–128
“Attribution of Liability between Parent and Subsidiary within a Single Economic Entity: The Singapore Experience”  Singapore Journal of Legal Studies 124