Jared undertakes a broad range of work in the areas of commercial litigation and arbitration.
Jared is an experienced commercial dispute resolution lawyer who has practiced at two of Singapore’s top-tier dispute resolution firms. He regularly acts as lead counsel and has also worked with pre-eminent senior counsel. He is well-versed at handling trial, appellate, arbitration and advisory matters.
He has acted for a wide range of businesses, financial institutions, government-linked entities and high-profile individuals.
His practice focuses on shareholder and joint venture disputes and commercial fraud cases.
Here are some examples of the matters that Jared has handled:
- Lead counsel in advising a $100 million charitable trust concerning allegations made by another charitable trust.
- Lead counsel in a claim arising out of a hotel development project in Malaysia: HC/S 195/2021.
- Represented the Singapore branch of a French bank in a US$60 million claim arising from the fraudulent presentation of documents under a letter of credit: HC/S 459/2020.
- Represented a local company in a claim arising from an investment loan: HC/S 1244/2020.
- Advised the Singapore branch of a Malaysian bank in a US$70 million claim arising from the fraudulent presentation of documents under a letter of credit.
- Represented a commodities trading company in numerous arbitration and litigation proceedings in connection with claims arising from the actions of a rogue trader: HC/S 227/2017; HC/S 362/2017; SIAC Arbs 143 to 202/2017; SIAC Arb 216/2017; SIAC Arb 188/2018.
- Represented a high-profile family in an arbitration involving a US$2.4 billion fraud claim arising from the sale of a pharmaceutical company: ICC Case No. 19074/CYK.
- Represented the liquidators of a company in claims against its former directors and senior employees for losses caused by mismanagement and corruption: HC/S 1067/2015.
- Represented secured creditors of the OW Bunker Group in numerous arbitration and litigation proceedings in connection with the recovery of assets secured under a US$700 million credit facility following the collapse of the group.
- Represented a Malaysian listed company and its Singapore subsidiary in defending fraud and conspiracy claims brought by the Singapore Comptroller of Income Tax: HC/S 350/2014; CA/CA 189/2015.
Shareholder and Joint Venture Disputes
- Lead counsel in cross-appeals before the Singapore Court of Appeal arising from a dispute over the valuation of shares: CA/CA 147/2019; CA/CA 148/2019.
- Represented a minority shareholder in a dispute over corporate control of a fund manager: HC/S 374/2019; HC/S 490/2019.
- Represented a majority shareholder in arbitrations arising from a joint venture to construct, develop and operate an integrated marina, residential and commercial development in MoDao Island, China: SIAC Arb 48/2018; SIAC Arb 70/2018.
- Lead counsel in cross-appeals before the Singapore Court of Appeal arising from the termination of a biomass services arrangement: CA/CA 155/2017; CA/CA 157/2017.
- Represented a substantial shareholder in a dispute over the corporate control of a Singapore public listed company: HC/S571/2017.
- Represented shareholders in multiple proceedings arising from a joint venture dispute over a cross-jurisdiction supply chain for polymer parts used in the manufacture of high-end consumer electronics: HC/S236/2017; HC/S 238/2017; HC/S 910/2017; HC/S 312/2018.
- Represented shareholders in a joint venture dispute over the construction and development of a mix-use property development known as the Capitol Singapore: HC/OS 1007-9/2016; HC/CWU 72-4/2016.
- Lead counsel in a trial arising from a dispute over a biomass services arrangement: HC/S 468/2015.
- Represented the majority shareholders in a Court ordered buyout of the minority’s interest: HC/S 125/2014.
Financial Services Disputes
- Defended a trustee services company from claims arising from falsified payment instructions: SIAC Arb 55/2021.
- Advised a Cayman segregated portfolio company against an investment manager concerning the management of US$800 million in assets.
- Represented a local bank in defending claims for misrepresentation and contravention of the Financial Advisers Act: HC/S 232/2017.
- Represented a project development company in defending a claim for payment for financial advisory services in relation to the development of a US$2 billion aromatic chemicals plant: CA/CA 95/2013; CA/CA 97/2013.
- Represented a private bank in defending against claims for unauthorized currency trading: HC/S 125/2011.
- Represented a Malaysian government linked company in pursuing a claim against an Indonesian government linked insurer under a credit insurance policy: SIAC ARB 011/10/MM.
Workplace and Employment
- Advised a large accounting firm concerning a former partner’s claim for psychiatric harm.
- Acted for an insurance company in a multibillion-dollar claim arising from the mass solicitation of an agency unit: HC/S 722/2016; AD/CA 78, 79 and 97/2021.
- Advised a large distributor of fast-moving consumer goods in investigations concerning the breach of fair employment regulations.
- Advised the Inquiry Committee of a government linked company on investigations into a sexual harassment complaint made against a senior board member.
- Acted as lead counsel for a project development company in the trial involving an employment dispute: DC/S 3012/2012/H.
- Represented an advertising company in a trial involving the enforcement of restrictive covenants and payment of employee benefits: HC/S 353/2012; HC/S 409/2012.
- Acted as lead counsel for former employees of a security firm in an employment dispute: HC/S 671/2010.
- Represented a subsidiary of a Singapore listed company in a dispute arising from the construction and development of energy and desalination facilities in Salalah, Oman: ad-hoc arbitration governed by UNCITRAL Rules.
- Represented a subsidiary of a Singapore listed company in a dispute concerning the provision of EPC services in respect of a lamella clarifier plant: HC/S 965/2012.
- Assisted in proceedings concerning a dispute over the non-supply of ready-mix concrete in the wake of the 2007 Indonesian sand ban: CA/CA 160/2009.
- Prudential Assurance Co Singapore (Pte) Ltd v Tan Shou Yi Peter  SGHC 109
- Wei Fengpin v Low Tuck Loong Raymond  SGHC 90
- Retrospect Investment (S) Pte Ltd v Lateral Solutions Pte Ltd  SGCA 15
- Liew Kit Fah and others v Koh Keng Chew  SGCA 78
- Tan Choon Wee v Pine Capital Group Ltd  SGHC 201
- Poh Lian Construction (Pte) Ltd (in liquidation) v LauwWisanggeni  SGHC 114
- Shanghai Turbo Enterprises Ltd v Liu Ming  SGCA 11
- Koh Keng Chew v Liew Kit Fah  SGHC 262
- Shanghai Turbo Enterprises Ltd v Liu Ming  SGHC 172
- Biofuel Industries Pte Ltd v V8 Environmental Pte Ltd  SGCA 28
- BASF Intertrade AG Singapore Branch v H&C S Holding Pte Ltd  SGHCR 10
- Biofuel Industries Pte Ltd v V8 Environmental Pte Ltd  SGHC 184
- ARX v Comptroller of Income Tax  SGCA 56
- Precious Shipping Public Co Ltd v OW Bunker Far East (Singapore) Pte Ltd  SGHC 187
- Choo Liang Haw v Chua Seet Mui  SGHC 47
- Kraze Entertainment (S) Pte Ltd v Marina Bay Sands Pte Ltd  SGHC 39
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Independent Director, EtonHouse Community Fund