James Chan is a Partner in Rajah & Tann Singapore's Capital Markets and Mergers and Acquisitions Practice Group.
His main areas of practice include initial public offerings, secondary listings and mergers & acquisitions. His experience also includes numerous cross-border capital markets and mergers and acquisitions transactions involving countries such as China, Malaysia and Hong Kong. He also regularly advises SGX-ST listed issuers on continuing obligations and compliance matters.
James graduated with his LL.B. (Hons) from the National University of Singapore, where he was placed on the Overall Dean’s List for being among the top 10% of students in his cohort and won the KhattarWong Securities Regulation Prize.
- Acted for China Jinjiang Environment Holding Company Limited in respect of its initial public offering and listing on the Main Board of the SGX-ST. At the time of its listing, Jinjiang Environment was the largest private waste-to-energy operator in the PRC and had a market capitalisation of S$1.08 billion.
- Acted for Koufu Group Limited in respect of its initial public offering and listing on the Mainboard of the SGX-ST. Koufu is one of the most established and largest operators and managers of food courts and coffee shops in Singapore. Koufu’s market capitalization at the time of its listing was approximately S$350 million.
- Acted for DBS Bank Ltd. in respect of the initial public offering and listing of Econ Healthcare (Asia) Limited on the Catalist Board of the SGX-ST. Econ Healthcare is the largest private nursing home operator in Singapore and Malaysia with presence in China. Econ Healthcare’s market capitalization at the time of its listing was approximately S$72 million.
- Acted as Singapore counsel to ASX-listed OM Holdings Limited in its secondary listing by introduction on the Main Market of Bursa Malaysia, which marked the first dual listing on Bursa Malaysia and the Australian Securities Exchange.
- Acted for China Jinjiang Environment Holding Company Limited in its issuance of US$200 million in senior unsecured notes.
- Acted for China Jinjiang Environment Holding Company Limited in its private placement which raised gross proceeds of S$107 million.
- Advised on the listings and reverse takeovers of companies on the SGX-ST, including PRC-incorporated companies under the direct listing framework.
- Acted as Singapore counsel to Singapore-based businesses in their overseas listings in Hong Kong and their secondary listings on the SGX-ST.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Acted for V3 Group in its S$76.6 million acquisition of a 69% stake in Future Store Pte. Ltd., a manufacturer of store fittings under the Futuristic brand.
- Acted for China Jinjiang Environment Holding Company Limited in its RMB440 million (S$88 million) acquisition of two waste-to-energy plants in the PRC.
- Acted for the V3 Gourmet Group, which also owns the TWG Tea brand, in its acquisition of a majority stake in Bacha Coffee.
- Acted for a large German multinational corporation in conducting a due diligence exercise in connection with its potential investment in a Hong-Kong based delivery services platform.
- Acted for a large Japanese conglomerate in its joint venture in Thailand relating to the operation and maintenance of buildings.
- Acted for an SGX-listed company in its investment in a biomedical start-up engaged in stem cell therapeutics.
General Corporate and Regulatory Compliance
- Advised several foreign listed companies on the applicable restrictions and safe harbour provisions under Singapore securities law relating to securities offerings, secondary fund raising and employee share incentive schemes.
- Advised several Singapore listed companies in relation to their corporate actions such as acquisitions and disposals, share buybacks and interested person transactions.
- Advised on the distribution of pre-deal research reports in Singapore for overseas IPOs and securities offerings.
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Law Society of Singapore