Hiroyuki Ota is a foreign attorney part of the Myanmar Practice of Rajah & Tann, qualified to practice in Japan. He has an LLM from Columbia Law School and will be registering with the New York Bar Association. Hiroyuki started his career in a well-established law firm in Japan and joined Rajah & Tann in September 2014.
He has a wide range of experience in assisting Japanese multinational corporations in entering into the South East Asian market, which includes countries such as Myanmar, Thailand, India and Vietnam, and has a deep understanding of the region. His experience includes mergers and acquisitions, issuance of bonds, corporate restructuring and providing corporate and regulatory advice.
- Advising a Malaysian private equity firm on its proposed investment in Myanmar’s telecommunication sector.
- Assisting a Japanese company for its investment, development and construction in a biomass power plant project in Myanmar
- Advising a shortlisted bidder on its potential JV with MPPE on the operation of fuel depots and fuel stations in Myanmar
- A hotel joint venture in Myanmar involving a Japanese hospitality group.
- Assisting a Japanese Company on its approximately USD300 million estate development project in Myanmar
- Assisting a consortium of a Singapore, China and Myanmar company on its Yangon Central Station redevelopment project in Myanmar
- Assisting a Japanese financial institution with its strategic alliance with Myanmar Payment Union
- Assisting a Singapore steel manufacturing company on its investment into Thilawa Special Economic Zone
- Assisting a Myanmar conglomerate on its joint venture with a Japanese Company related to detergent products
- Assisting a Japanese trading house on its three party joint venture with Myanma Oil and Gas Enterprise
- Assisting a Japanese bank on its project finance in Myanmar
- Assisting a Japanese company on its joint venture with in Myanmar’s fishery industry
- Advising a Malaysian oil and gas service company on its market entry into Myanmar
- Assisting a Japanese medical equipment manufacturer on its joint venture in Myanmar
- Assisting a Myanmar conglomerate with its joint venture with a Japanese company in the retail sector
- Advising a Japanese trading house on regulations and compliance related to import and export of certain goods into Myanmar
- Assisting a Chinese insurance company on its assessment for project eligibility for insurance in the energy sector
- Assisting a Chinese company on its deep sea port and industrial zone development project in Myanmar
- “Registration System in Myanmar - Myanmar Focus (Japan Myanmar Association, 25 July 2016)
- “The New Myanmar Companies Law” - Mizuho Asia Gateway Review (5 Oct 2015)
- “Myanmar’s historical general elections” JiJi Press (13 Oct 2015)
- Co-author “Competition Law in ASEAN” – LexisNexis
- "Myanmar Investment Law - The new unified investment regime in Myanmar" - Myanmar Focus (Japan Myanmar Association, 20 October 2016)
Memberships / Directorships
- Member, Japan Federation of Bar Associations
- Member, Osaka Bar Association
- Member, Japan Myanmar Association