Gazalle Mok is a partner in Rajah & Tann Singapore’s Corporate Real Estate practice.
Gazalle has been a real estate lawyer for more than 20 years. Her extensive experience in the legal aspects of real estate includes sale and purchase of commercial and industrial buildings, acquisitions via government land sales, development projects for residential, commercial, medical and mixed use buildings, commercial leasing, mortgage loans (both conventional and Islamic financings) and real estate investment trust (REIT) transactions.
Gazalle’s experience includes acted / acting for:
- Areca Investment Pte Ltd (a wholly-owned subsidiary of CapitaLand’s CRL Realty Pte Ltd) in the purchase of all the strata lots and common property in the residential development known as Pearl Bank Apartments, situated at 1 and 1A Pearl Bank, Singapore 169016 and 169017 through a private treaty collective sale. The landmark horseshoe-shaped 288-unit 99-year leasehold development in centrally located District 3, which is zoned as “Residential” under the 2014 Master Plan, was acquired by Areca Investment Pte Ltd –– for a total consideration of S$728 million.
- Lendlease Corporation on land related matters in connection with a joint redevelopment of the Comcentre by Lendlease Corporation and Singapore Telecommunications Limited. Comcentre will be redeveloped into a S$3 billion world-class sustainable workplace.
- M&G Real Estate Asia Pte. Ltd. in the purchase and leaseback of a portfolio of 4 properties (188 Pandan Loop, 209 Pandan Gardens, 239 & 241 Alexandra Road, and 301 Alexandra Road) for an aggregate of S$333 million.
- AEW in the S$680 million purchase of Westgate Tower, a 20-Storey Grade A office tower. The office tower is located at the heart of the Jurong Lake District, which will be the largest business district outside Singapore’s Central Business District as part of Urban Redevelopment Authority’s (URA) long term plan.
- The purchasers in the acquisition of the property known as One George Street from One George Street LLP. One George Street is a 23-storey Grade A office building located at the heart of the Singapore’s Central Business District. It has a total net lettable area of 445,735 square feet and its committed occupancy rate was 96.9% as at 30 September 2021. The consideration for the acquisition of One George Street is approximately S$1.28 billion or approximately S$2,875 per square foot.
- All registered owners in the S$375 million collective sale of all the strata lots and common property in the residential development known as Park House, a 60-unit freehold development in District 10, to Shun Tak Cuscaden Residential Pte. Ltd. (a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hong Kong-listed Shun Tak Holdings). The sale garnered 100% consensus amongst all the registered proprietors of the development.
- RHB Bank in what appears to be the world’s largest Islamic bilateral hotel financing deal and involving the Royal Group. This deal, which is Singapore’s first Islamic real estate financing in the core central business district, is also a landmark deal as in the past hospitality-related assets were considered taboo to be used for Islamic financing as not all income is deemed to be Shariah compliant. RHB Bank Berhad granted commodity murabahah term financing facilities allowed under Shariah laws to the Royal Group to refinance the past acquisition of Sofitel SO, a luxury hotel valued at S$300 million located in a prime location, secured by a suite of securities including the mortgage of the hotel, approved by the Shariah board.
- A subsidiary of the Royal Group in the S$93 million acquisition of Darby Park Executive Suites, located in one of Singapore's most prestigious precincts, from the Bursa Malaysia-listed Sime Darby Property Berhad.
- Carmel Development Pte. Ltd., in the S$980 million acquisition of all the strata lots and common property comprised in the 290-unit freehold residential development known as Pacific Mansions and the subsequent termination of the strata subdivision of the strata units in the said development and the downstream sale of the development project sales of the development. This acquisition was one of the highest-recorded collective sales in over a decade and the second-highest recorded collective sale in Singapore.
- Glopeak Development Pte. Ltd., a wholly-owned subsidiary of SGX Mainboard-listed Low Keng Huat (Singapore) Limited, in the S$462 million acquisition of 67 Cairnhill Road and the collective acquisition of all the strata lots and common property comprised in the 61-unit freehold residential development known as Cairnhill Mansions.
- LN Development (Stirling) Pte. Ltd., a company jointly owned by Logan Property Group which is listed in the Hong Kong Stock Exchange and Nanshan Group Singapore Co. Pte. Ltd., in the acquisition of the government land site at Stirling Road with a land area of 227,221 square feet. The successful bid is the first ever bid for a residential government land site that crosses the S$1 billion mark.
- The owners of 22 freehold residential plots lands along Tham Siew Avenue in the S$815 million collective sale of their respective residential plots of lands, which was the highest en-bloc sale for residential properties in 2021.
- FEC Skypark Pte Ltd in the collective acquisition of all the strata units and common property at the freehold residential developments known as The Estoril and Hollandia comprising 44 strata units and 48 units respectively in the Holland Road area at an aggregate consideration of $393.15 million. FEC Skypark Pte Ltd was in the getting-up for the launch of the development known as Hyll on Holland comprising 319 condominium units and the downstream sale of the development project sales of the development.
- FEC Skyline Pte Ltd in the acquisition of a 99-years leasehold residential land parcel with commercial uses of the first level of Alexandra View by way of public land tender from Urban Redevelopment Authority with the successful bid of S$376.88 million. The development was slated for residential and commercial use with around 450 residential and commercial units.
- Boustead Industrial Fund Management (as fund manager) in Boustead Industrial Fund’s (“BIF”) acquisition of a portfolio of real estate assets and interests comprising investments in business parks, logistics and industrial properties. BIF has an investment mandate to acquire, invest in and manage certain real estate investments and is sponsored by Boustead Projects Limited (“BPL”). The transaction involves BIF acquiring 10 properties and BPL’s interest in certain entities which hold a total of 3 properties for a consideration of S$422.4 million from BPL and its subsidiaries, joint ventures and associated companies.
- Lucas Real Estate Singapore in the S$175.8 million sale of the balance 30-year leasehold interest in 1 Fusionopolis View together with the iconic Sandcrawler building erected on it. The building has a gross floor area of approximately 22,000 square metres and features eight floors of office space, retail shopping, a 100-seat theatre and houses Lucasfilm’s animation studio (Industrial Light & Magic Singapore) and The Walt Disney Company (Southeast Asia) amongst others.
- AEW Asia in the disposal of the entire issued and paid-up share capital of a special purpose vehicle which is the registered proprietor of 55 Market Street, which is strategically located in the heart of the Central Business District, has fifteen levels of office space and two levels of retail space. It has a leasehold tenure of 999 years and is zoned commercial with a gross plot ratio of 15.0.
- Northernone Development Pte. Ltd., in the disposal of the entire issued and paid-up share capital of Northern Retail Pte. Ltd., the registered proprietor of Wisteria Mall situated at 598 Yishun Ring Road. Valued at S$205 million, Wisteria Mall is a 99-leasehold lifestyle mall with a strata lot area of approximately 17,328 square meters, comprising commercial units.
- REIT trustees in the property aspects of acquisition and disposal of properties like reviewing, drafting and advising trustees on the contents of the Sale and Purchase Agreements, preparing and reviewing property due diligence reports, reviewing of property management agreements, electricity supply and connection agreements and drafting of occupation agreements (eg. acquisition and lease of Iluma, Marina Bay Finance Centre, VivoCity, Clark Quay, 1 George Street, The Atrium@Orchard and acted for trustees in the 1st Sharia Compliant Reit).