Eugene Lee is a Partner in the Capital Markets Practice Group.
Eugene is an international business lawyer who has practised at the world's top law firms and financial centres. Before joining Rajah & Tann Singapore LLP, Eugene was a partner at a global elite law firm and had worked at other Wall Street law firms in New York, Singapore and Hong Kong, and at other leading local Singapore law firms.
Eugene has led a variety of complex, cross-border transactions, including SEC registered and unregistered offerings of secured and unsecured debt, equity and equity-linked securities. Eugene's experience also includes SEC, NYSE, NASDAQ, HKSE and SGX-ST compliance issues, leveraged finance, high-yield and loan covenant analysis, liability management exercises, take private transactions, poison pill plans, share buybacks, and acquisitions of private and public companies.
Eugene has been recognised as a leading capital markets lawyer in Chambers Asia Pacific and IFLR1000.
Notable Cases & Transactions
- Acted as counsel to SMRT Capital Pte. Ltd. and SMRT Corporation Ltd in the update of the update of the S$1.3 billion multicurrency guaranteed medium term note programme to provide for the issuance of notes as Green, Social or Sustainability Bonds in accordance with the SMRT Group Sustainability Bond Framework.
- Acted as counsel to PT Japfa Comfeed Indonesia Tbk, the largest agrifood company in Indonesia, in the issuance of US$350 million sustainability-linked bonds hat were listed on the Singapore Exchange.
- Acted for TML Holdings Pte. Ltd. in its issuance of GBP98 million 4% Credit Enhanced Notes due 2023 backed by an irrevocable standby letter of credit issued by Bank of Baroda, London Branch.
- Acted for TML Holdings Pte. Ltd. in the issuance of US$300 million 5.50 per cent. Notes due 2024 with the benefit of a non-binding letter of comfort provided by Tata Motors Limited.
- Acted for Oxley Holdings Limited in its issuance of up to US$80 million in aggregate principal amount of secured convertible notes to funds managed by Dignari Capital Partners (HK) Limited.
- Represented Credit Suisse (Singapore) Limited and Maybank Kim Eng Securities Pte. Ltd. as arrangers in the update of a S$700 million Multicurrency Debt Issuance Programme by Banyan Tree Holdings Limited.
- Represented DBS Trustee Limited (in its capacity as trustee of OUE Commercial Real Estate Investment Trust) and OUE CT Treasury Pte. Ltd. (a wholly owned subsidiary of OUE Commercial Real Estate Investment Trust) in the establishment of a S$2 billion Multicurrency Debt Issuance Programme.
- Represented Zhenjiang Transportation Industry Group Co., Ltd. as international counsel in its US$220 million offering of 7% notes.
- Represented DBS Trustee Limited (in its capacity as trustee of SPH REIT) and SPH Reit Management Pte. Ltd. (in its capacity as manager of SPH REIT) in the establishment of SPH REIT's S$1 billion Multicurrency Debt Issuance Programme.
- Represented Singapore Press Holdings Limited in the issuance of S$500 million 3.20 per cent. notes under its S$1 billion multicurrency debt issuance programme.
- Represented the underwriters in the US$150 million offering by Nord Anglia Education of PIK toggle notes.
- Represented Melco Crown Entertainment Limited in its US$1 billion offering of high yield notes.
- Represented the underwriters in the US$600 million offering of convertible bonds by Qihoo 360 Technology.
- Represented Hong Kong Broadband in its US$450 million offering of guaranteed senior notes.
- Represented the underwriters in the US$400 million high-yield debt offering by Adaro Finance.
- Represented the underwriters in the US$500 million Upper Tier II debt issuance by Chinatrust Commercial Bank.
- Represented the underwriters and dealer in China Resources Gas Group's establishment of a US$1.5 billion GMTN programme and the initial issuance under the programme of US$750 million senior notes.
- Represented the underwriters and letter of credit issuing bank in China Resources Cement Holdings' offering of US$400 million credit enhanced notes.
- Represented CITIC Securities Co. Ltd. in its US$1.7 billion initial public offering on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
- Represented Chunghwa Telecom Co., Ltd. in its US$2.7 billion secondary sale offering on the New York Stock Exchange.
- Represented the underwriters in the US$750 million initial public offering by Hong Kong Broadband on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
- Represented Qihoo 360 Technology in its US$175 million initial public offering on the New York Stock Exchange.
- Represented Nord Anglia Education in its US$300 million initial public offering on the New York Stock Exchange.
- Represented Canadian Solar Inc. in its US$115 million initial public offering on the NASDAQ Global Market.
- Represented the underwriters in Yanlord Land Group's S$262 million initial public offering on the SGX-ST.
Mergers & Acquisitions/Privatisation
- Represented Qihoo 360 Technology in its US$9.3 billion take-private transaction and delisting from the New York Stock Exchange.
- Represented the financial advisor to Focus Media, a NASDAQ-listed company, in the US$1.3 billlion sale of Focus Media's China digital out-of-home advertising networks to SINA Corporation, another NASDAQ-listed company.
- Represented a consortium led by Marubeni in the US$2.59 billion acquisition of Senoko Power Limited in Singapore from Temasek Holdings.
- Represented the sellers in the US$90 million sale of a majority stake in BT Cocoa to Olam International.
- Represented Le Gaga Holdings in its US$185 million take-private transaction and delisting from the NASDAQ Global Market.
- Represented Noah Education Holdings in its US$107 million take-private transaction and delisting from the New York Stock Exchange.
Memberships / Directorships
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Law Society of England & Wales