Cherie is a partner with the Restructuring & Insolvency Practice Group.
She graduated from the National University of Singapore in 2012 and was called to the Singapore Bar in 2013.
Cherie’s areas of practice include commercial and corporate litigation, with an emphasis on banking and financing disputes, and personal and corporate insolvency. Cherie regularly represents a number of financial institutions and banks on the restructuring of debts of distressed companies, including advising on the restructuring agreements and security documentation.
Cherie also specialises in hire purchase and auto-finance industry, and she has handled block discounting, floor stock and hire purchase financing for major banks and financial institutions.
Notable Cases & Transactions
- Advised and represented various banks and financial institutions in a broad range of contentious and non-contentious insolvency and restructuring matters, from liquidation, schemes of arrangement, judicial management, receivership, to personal bankruptcy. Notable cases include Hyflux Ltd/ Tuaspring Pte Ltd, Agritrade, Hontop Energy, Panoil Petroleum Pte Ltd, Swiber Holdings Ltd/Swiber Offshore Construction Pte Ltd, Serrano Ltd, Page One Holdings Pte Ltd/Page One The Designer’s Bookshop (HK) Ltd, Pars Ram Brothers Pte Ltd, Ryobi Kiso Holdings Ltd/Ryobi Kiso S Pte Ltd.
- Advising and representing the largest secured creditor of Tuaspring Pte Ltd (part of the Hyflux Group) on its claim in excess of S$500 million.
- Advised and represented a private equity fund and its director in a High Court Suit relating to breaches of various investment agreements to recover S$16 million in damages arising from the Asiasons and Liongold shares, which were involved in the 2013 penny stock collapse.
- Advised and successfully represented a corporate client in a watershed personal insolvency case involving cross-border bankruptcy and the recognition of foreign personal insolvency proceedings.
- Advised and represented the founder and former director and shareholder of a Singapore listed company in a High Court Suit involving allegations of breach of directors’ duties, defamation and breach of SGX listing rules.
- Advising and representing a bank on its claim in excess of USD24 million against a Singapore company, restructuring proceedings involving the said company and related claims against various counterparties in Hong Kong, Malaysia and India.
- Advised and represented a New Zealand financial service provider on its multi-million dollar claim against its former employee and other related Singapore and New Zealand Companies for breach of employment duties and fraud. Successfully obtained orders of court for recognition of New Zealand liquidation proceedings in Singapore.
- Part of a team that represented a Singapore company in a S$30 million SIAC domestic arbitration in relation to allegations of various breaches of warranties.
- The Bank of East Asia Ltd v Lerida Pte Ltd and others  SGHC 261
- Sudha Natrajan v The Bank of East Asia Ltd  SGCA 66
- The Bank of East Asia Ltd v Sudha Natrajan  SGHC 328
- Tang Yong Kiat Rickie v Sinesinga Sdn Bhd (transferee to part of the assets of United Merchant Finance Bhd) and others  SGHCR 6