Brian Ng is a Singapore-qualified lawyer and his core areas of practice are in private-equity mergers and acquisitions, venture capital fundraising and financing.
Praised as a "deal maker" who "knows exactly what to do and how to do it properly”, Brian has been ranked in Chambers Asia Pacific for being well-versed in advising founders, investors and VC funds on series fundraising, startup financing, and for his vast experience acting for emerging companies on financing rounds.
He has also been recognised by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific as a Leading Individual and named a Highly Regarded Lawyer by IFLR1000. Clients have commended him for being a “very experienced partner in VC deals” who is “extremely hardworking” and “trustworthy”, giving “sensible advice to protect the client consistently, and are able to articulate the risks and potential issues”.
Brian has also been consistently recognised by Best Lawyers in Singapore for Corporate Law and previously named by Singapore Business Review as one of Singapore's 40 most influential lawyers aged 40 and under.
Brian’s core areas of practice are in private-equity mergers and acquisitions, venture capital fundraising and financing. He specialises in complex cross-border transactions and has assisted with the growth of many companies regionally. He also advises the government of Singapore on various venture capital and start-ups initiatives, and has journeyed with various high-growth companies in their push to expand into South East Asia.
Private Equity Mergers and Acquisitions
- Advised TrueCommerce, a leading global cloud provider of supply chain and trading partner connectivity, integration, and omnichannel solutions, in its acquisition of DiCentral, a leading global B2B and API solutions provider.
- Advised a consortium led by Exacta Capital Partners and Aura Group in the acquisition of the Anytime Fitness master franchise licence in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau, Singapore and the rest of Southeast Asia, as well as various gym outlets and gym management businesses across Southeast Asia.
- Advised founders of BLK J in the disposal of a controlling stake to Havas Group.
- Advised Hong Kong garment manufacturer Crystal Group in its acquisition of a group of sportswear and outdoor apparel manufacturing companies in Singapore, Malaysia, Cambodia and Vietnam.
- Advised Hong Kong’s Maxim’s Caterers on its acquisition of Starbucks in Singapore.
- Advised Vietnam state-owned Ho Chi Minh City Infrastructure Investment Joint Stock Company (“CII”) against Metro Pacific Tollways Corporation an investment by MPTC into CII’s subsidiary.
- Advised Ho Chi Minh City Infrastructure Investment Joint Stock Company (State-Owned Enterprise) on the disposal of one its operating subsidiaries (Thu Duc Water BOO Corp) to Manila Water (listed on the Philippines Stock Exchange).
- Advised Fairfax Financial Holdings in its strategic investment into HOSE-listed BIDV Insurance Corporation.
- Advised Fortis Healthcare Group in connection with the acquisition by Fortis of a controlling stake in the Hoan My Hospital Group.
- Advised Fortis Healthcare Group on its disposal of its stake in Fortis Hoan My Hospital Group to Chandler Corporation.
- Advised on the acquisition by Mizuho Asean Investment L.P. of the California Fitness and Yoga chain in Vietnam.
- Advised Anhui Conch Cement Company Limited in the acquisition of one of the largest cement producers in Vietnam.
- Advised OJI Holding Corporation in a number of acquisitions of strategic interests in Vietnam manufacturing companies, including public non-listed companies.
- Advised the Salim Group on the investment into the Hiep Thanh group of Vietnamese companies.
- Advised Vinacapital funds on a number of investments and divestments, as well as financing matters.
Venture Capital and High-Growth
- Advised Indonesian savings and investments platform Pluang in its Series B fundraising round led by Squarepeg.
- Acted for regional e-grocer iCart Group Pte. Ltd. (HappyFresh) in its Series D fundraising.
- Advised SCB10x in its Series B investment into Bangkok-based full-stack insuretech Sunday Ins.
- Advised Indonesian savings and investments platform Pluang in its Series A fundraising.
- Advised Provident Capital in its co-investment with the International Finance Corporation in GoPay's Series A / GoJek's Series F fundraising round.
- Acted for JD.com, Inc and Provident Growth Fund II LP in the Series C fundraising of Pomelo Fashion Pte. Ltd.
- Acted for Quona Capital in its Series A investment into Indonesia based E-commerce marketplace Ula.
- Advised Economic Development of Singapore (EDB) New Ventures on its investment in Next Gen Foods.
- Advised Economic Development of Singapore (EDB) New Ventures on its investment in Aquaeasy Pte. Ltd.
- Advised Economic Development of Singapore (EDB) New Ventures on its investment in Gaming Space.
- Advised Economic Development of Singapore (EDB) New Ventures on its investment in Storms, a joint venture among SingTel, AIS and SK Telecom.
- Advised Insignia Ventures Partners as lead investor in the seed fundraising round of Float Foods.
- Advised M17 Entertainment Limited in its joint venture with a partner to carry on the business of video entertainment and live streaming services.
- Acted for M17 Entertainment Ltd. in its proposed listing on NYSE.
- Acted for iCart Group Pte. Ltd. (HappyFresh) in its Series C fundraising.
- Advised Circles Life, a Singapore digital telco, in its Series A fundraising.
- Advised Sunday Ins, a Southeast Asia-based insurtech startup, in its convertible debt fundraise from SCB10X, LINE Ventures, Vertex Ventures and Quona Capital.
- Advised Quona Capital as lead investor in the pre-Series A fundraising round of Bukuwarung, a financial solutions platform.
- Advised PT Esensi Solusi Buana, a restaurant technology platform, in its US$3 million Series A fundraising round led by Beenext and AC Ventures.
- Acted for National Research Foundation (Prime Minister’s Office, Singapore) in the Series A fundraising of Catch That Bus Pte. Ltd.
- Acted for National Research Foundation (Prime Minister’s Office, Singapore) in the subscription of convertible bonds in Sqrdots Private Limited.
- Acted for OPG in its Series B investment into GogoPrint.
- Acted for and advised iCart Group Pte Ltd in its Series C investment round and strategic partnership with Grab Inc.
- Acted for M17 Entertainment Ltd. in a venture debt transaction involving InnoVen Capital.
- Acted for M17 Entertainment Ltd.in a venture debt transaction involving DBS Bank.
- Advised the National Research Foundation (Prime Minister’s Office, Singapore) on its various start-up incubator and venture capital investment schemes.
- Advised Kaodim Group Pte. Ltd. in relation to its Series B fundraising.
- Advised Steadview Capital in relation to its investment in Flipkart.
- Advised PT KerjaDulu in relation to a seed round of financing from P.T. MNC Media Investasi.
- Advised Paktor Pte. Ltd. and various investors as lead counsel for its various rounds of series fundraising and debt/equity financing.
- Advised Grabtaxi Singapore on the setting-up and consolidation of operations in Vietnam.
- Advised Zalora Vietnam and Recess Vietnam on miscellaneous operational issues.
- Advised 701 Search Pte Ltd, a subsidiary of Singapore Press Holdings, on setting-up and consolidation of operations relating to the “Cho Tot” job search platform in Vietnam.
Banking and Finance
- Advised Vietnam-listed Hoang Anh Gia Lai on 2 project financing transactions involving credit facilities granted by BIDV and issuance of bonds in Vietnam, secured by assets in Lao (PDR) and Cambodia.
- Advised Chandler Corporation on a convertible bond subscription into Masan Group Corporation (HOSE-listed, acquired by KKR).
- Advised UOB in the grant of cross-border term loan facilities to Keppel Land in Vietnam.
- Advised Standard Chartered Bank on the grant of a cross-border trade finance facility granted to a Vietnamese borrower.
- Advised China EXIM Bank on the grant of cross-border hydropower project financing facilities in Laos involving onshore (Laos) security.
- Advised Maybank on the grant of a cross-border secured term loan and revolving credit facilities to a foreign-invested Vietnamese borrower. Security included real property, fixed and future assets.
- Advised DBS Bank (Vietnam) on various regulatory and compliance matters in relation to Vietnam operations.
Miscellaneous ASEAN Regional Advisory
- Retained by Bayer (ex-Monsanto) Group for miscellaneous matters across South East Asia.
- Retained by Hong Kong F&B giant Maxim’s Group for miscellaneous matters across South East Asia.
- Retained by online grocer iCart Group for miscellaneous matters across South East Asia.
- Retained by social entertainment platform M17 Entertainment for miscellaneous matters across South East Asia and Taiwan.
- Retained by restaurant chain Crystal Jade Group for miscellaneous matters across South East Asia.
- Advised a number of international clients and multinational groups on employment and human resource matters, including Marel, Towers Watson, Marks and Spencer, NetApp, Menarini and Wipro. Matters advised on include termination of employment, redundancy schemes, employment law compliance issues, secondments / placements of foreign expatriates, service and labour agreements and arrangements etc.