Andrea has a broad-based commercial dispute resolution practice.
Andrea has acted in and advised on a variety of commercial disputes and claims, with a focus on banking and financial services, employment and investigations, and shareholder and joint venture related disputes.
In 2019, Andrea was awarded the Singapore Academy of Law Post-Qualification Scholarship and was attached to a leading set of barristers’ chambers in London to gain exposure through working with eminent barristers and Queen’s Counsel. Andrea was also recently appointed as amicus curiae under the Singapore Supreme Court’s Young Amicus Curiae Scheme. Outside of practice, Andrea regularly helps out at the Law Society’s pro bono legal clinics.
Notable Cases & Transactions:
Banking and financial services related disputes
- Acted for a bank in the Singapore International Commercial Court against guarantors of a commercial loan in a cross-border dispute, in which the legality of the merger of the Bank under French law was challenged and successfully upheld.
- Acted for a high-net worth banking client against a bank to achieve a favourable commercial settlement of a dispute over alleged wrongful trading and validity of margin calls.
- Acted for a bank in the Singapore High Court in a dispute involving calls made on a demand guarantee, which involved issues of English law.
- Acted for and advised various banks in disputes involving alleged mis-selling, breach of contractual and tortious duties.
- Acted for an insurer successfully in a case involving solicitation and mass poaching of agents to a competitor.
- Advised various insurers on contentious or fraudulent claims in respect of insurance policies.
Employment, shareholder and other commercial disputes
- Advised and assisted several multinational companies and financial institutions in dealing with employee misconduct and complaints (including allegations of harassment) and conducting internal investigations.
- Advised and assisted an oil-trading company to investigate allegations of employee fraud and theft of oil.
- Advised and assisted an insurer on regulatory issues concerning its obligations under the CPF Act and its remediation process.
- Advised and assisted an insurer in a dispute involving false and misleading representations and unauthorised use of the insurer’s name and logo in marketing and advertising materials.
- Successfully acted for a minority shareholder in proceedings in the Singapore High Court for a minority oppression claim.
- Advised and assisted a global LNG company in successfully managing and dealing with a former consultant’s claim for breach of consultancy agreement.
- Advised and assisted a F&B company in a claim for wrongful termination of a master franchise agreement and breach of non-competition obligations and diversion of business.
- Successfully acted in proceedings before the Singapore Court of Appeal for a shareholder who sought leave to commence a derivative action against the company’s directors.
- Member, Singapore Academy Of Law
- Member, Law Society of Singapore