Alroy Chan is a Partner of Rajah & Tann Singapore and Rajah & Tann Myanmar Company Limited.
Alroy was the first lawyer from Rajah & Tann to be based in Myanmar and helped to establish Rajah & Tann’s Yangon office. He has a broad-based, cross-border focus on corporate matters, mergers and acquisitions and joint ventures. Alroy regularly structures and completes corporate transactions for international clients, Asian start-ups and Myanmar conglomerates. In his Myanmar practice, Alroy has been involved in numerous high-profile investments and landmark transactions.
He also advises on government petitions, and is experienced in complex regulatory matters. In 2018, Alroy was seconded to a leading international law firm in London, where he worked on infrastructure and energy related M&As involving European parties.
Having spent significant amounts of time working on transactions involving emerging markets, he is innately familiar with complex issues faced and is uniquely equipped to bridge gaps.
Clients have rated Alroy for his “energetic and useful support” (The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2017 - Myanmar), being “great in all aspects” (IFLR1000 2018 – Myanmar), “able to give solid advice with an in-depth analysis and strategy” (The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2019 – Myanmar) and being “very responsive, understands our business very well, able to give us innovative solutions to difficult problems and always able to find a good solution for the best possible outcome” (ILFR1000 2022)
Notable Cases & Transactions
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Acted for Coca-Cola in its acquisition of carbonated soft drinks bottling facilities in Myanmar and joint venture with Pinya Manufacturing Company (a leading carbonated soft drinks company in Myanmar), and the subsequent buy-out of Myanmar Refreshments’ stake in Coca-Cola Myanmar Overseas Holdings.
- Acted for Best Oil Company (BOC) and PT Power Trading (PTP), which are leading Myanmar petroleum companies, in SK Energy’s significant minority investment into BOC and PTP.
Acted for A-Star Education on its sale of Lorna Whiston Schools (in Singapore and Malaysia) to Miravel.
- Acted for Ascent Capital Partners (a Temasek backed PE Fund) in its investment into Frontiir, a leading ICT company in Myanmar.
- Acted for Maha Agriculture Public Co. Ltd., a Myanmar microfinance institution, in an equity investment by the International Finance Corporation.
- Acted for Fullerton Financial Holdings Pte. Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of Temasek Holdings, in respect of International Finance Corporation's equity investment into its subsidiary, Fullerton Finance (Myanmar) Company Limited (FFMCL).
- Acted for Myanmar Winery & Distillery on the sale of its minority interest in Myanmar Distillery Company, the largest distillery in Myanmar.
- Acted for OUE Lippo Healthcare in its acquisition of a stake in Yoma Siloam Pun Hlaing Hospital and Pun Hlaing International Hospital Limited.
- Acted for ICON Infrastructure in its purchase of waste-to-energy plants located in the United Kingdom, from Cube and CNIM.
- Acted for ShawKwei & Partners in their acquisition of CR Asia
- Acted for Transcelestial, a leading space-tech company, in their Series A fundraising led by Airbus Ventures
- Acted for Novelship, a leading streetwear platform, in their Series B fundraising led by East Ventures
- Acted for Eden Group in its Series B investment into Campana group, a telecommunications network infrastructure company specialising in the laying and operating of submarine cables.
Acted for Albatroz Therapeutics (a leading cancer diagnostics biotech company) in its investment by Outram Bio, EDB and A*Star.
- Acted for Eco World Developer in a joint venture with S Hotels and Resorts Public Company Limited, as part of a strategic investment to develop and operate high-end tourist facilities on Island 3 of the Emboodhoo Lagoon in Kaafu Atoll, Republic of Maldives.
- Acted for Infocomm Media Development Authority of Singapore in the launch of the Federated Locker and Collection Points Programme.
- Acted for Myanma Awba in its partnership with the United Nations to establish a seed company in Myanmar.
- Acted for CITIC in its successful bid to develop the Kyauk Phyu Economic Zone in Myanmar.
- Acted for Intellect in its strategic partnership with Parkway Health, to develop a leading healthcare platform focused on mental wellness
- Acted for Myanma Apex Bank in its strategic partnership with True Money to develop a mobile financial services platform
- Assisted Ninja Logistics Pte. Ltd. in their joint venture with a local Myanmar company, Pahtama Group Company Limited, to undertake an agnostic logistics services business in Myanmar.
Acted for Klook in its joint venture with Zhong An to develop a travel-insurance platform.
- Acted for a cruise center operator in a government petition.
- Acted for a tobacco player in its engagement with the Singapore government.
- Advising various multinationals in the FMCG and alcoholic beverages space in relation to their corporate and regulatory matters
- Advised Facebook, Whatsapp and Instagram on the risks and impact of the Myanmar coup on their operations
- Acted for Myanma Awba Group Company Limited in International Finance Corporation’s investment by way of a convertible loan, which was the first investment by the IFC in the agriculture space in Myanmar.
- Advised Myanma Apex Bank on the financing of the development of a subsea cable from Myanmar to Singapore, in conjunction with SMBC Singapore’s co-financing.
- Acted for a Myanmar conglomerate in a financing from an Asian bank to develop an oil terminal.
Advised two Myanmar banks in the financing of Yoma Strategic Holdings purchase of a majority stake in Wave Money.
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Joint author, Myanmar chapter, Telecoms and Media 2014 - 2018 Getting the Deal Through
- Co-author, “Investing in Myanmar – not when but how”, The SME Magazine – Business Times (January/February 2019)
- Co-author, “Myanmar – The More Things Change, The More They Stay The Same?”, The SME Magazine – Business Times (June/July 2016)
- Co-author, “When Purchasers Go Sour”, The SME Magazine – Business Times (September/October 2014)
- Co-author, “Myanmar – Getting on the Road to Reformation”, The SME Magazine – Business Times (January/February 2013)
- Contributor to the Singapore Chapter of “The Public Competition Enforcement Review” 4th Edition.