Thea is a partner in the International Arbitration, Construction and Projects Practice.
Thea’s expertise lies in construction, projects and infrastructure disputes. She has acted for and advised a broad range of clients including developers, specialist contractors, and government bodies from various jurisdictions including Singapore, Indonesia, Korea, and Vietnam.
Thea is well-versed in the major arbitration rules that are frequently adopted by clients in the region. In addition, Thea also regularly appears in the Supreme Court of Singapore and is particularly familiar with the processes involved in applications for enforcement of awards and urgent injunctive relief. Thea is also familiar with the adjudication process provided for under the Building and Construction Industry Security of Payments Act.
She has been named as an Accredited Specialist for Building and Construction Law by the Singapore Academy of Law’s Specialist Accreditation Scheme.
Thea is recognised as one of two Construction rising stars in Singapore by Legal Media Group’s Expert Guides for Rising Stars 2019.
Thea’s experience includes:
Construction, Infrastructure & Projects
- Advising a regional commodities company in a potential SIAC arbitration on disputes arising from various contracts for the sale and purchase of coal. Disputes related to the quality and volume of coal that was being purchased over the tenure of a 5-year firm commitment sale and purchase contract.
- Advising a major local operator in a potential ICC arbitration pertaining to the issues of liquidated damages and force majeure events arising out of contracts for the design, construction, delivery and commissioning of several rubber-tyre gantry and quay-side cranes, with claims in the range of S$20 million.
- Acting for an Indonesian concessionaire with rights to a natural gas concession block in a South-East Asian country in an SIAC arbitration against a drilling contractor, over disputes involving drilling works for an exploration project, with claims in excess of US$10 million.
- Acting for a BVI-registered company in an SIAC arbitration over disputes against a state-owned company arising out of the building, construction, sale and purchase of a Grade A commercial building in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, with claims in excess of US$80 million.
- Acting for a Singapore-incorporated company against its main contractors in an SIAC arbitration over disputes in relation to a bespoke tourist attraction in Singapore, with claims in excess of S$20 million.
- Acting for a German leader in the field of water ballast infiltration technology systems in a claim against its then JV Partner for loss of profit and chance in an ICC Arbitration, with claims in the range of EUR 200 million.
- Acting for an Indonesian coal company in an SIAC arbitration against an American engineering company and an Indonesian construction company over disputes arising out of EPC Contracts with sums in dispute in the range of US$60 million.
- Acting for a Joint Venture between a Singapore-incorporated company and a leading Korean engineering and construction company in an SIAC arbitration against the JV’s electrical sub-contractor over disputes arising out of the electrical services sub-contract on an MRT project in Singapore with sums in dispute in the range of S$12 million.
Adjudication & Other Experience
- Representing various major Korean construction companies in defending various adjudication proceedings commenced by sub-contractors further to disputes surrounding progress claims, certification, cross-claims and back-charges.
- Representing various major listed Singapore-incorporated companies as claimant in separate adjudication proceedings.
- Representing a major Malaysian construction conglomerate as respondent in two successive adjudication proceedings.
- Representing various statutory boards as respondent in separate adjudication proceedings.
- Representing a Singapore-incorporated company in various court disputes arising out of various building and construction projects in Singapore.
- Representing a major Singapore-incorporated shipping and commodities trader in an application to set aside an adjudication determination in the Singapore Courts.
- Representing a Singapore listed company in successfully defending an injunction application by its contractor to stop a call on a performance bond.
Memberships / Directorships
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Author, Amendments to section 10 of the Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act – Effects and Future Uncertainties,  SAL Practitioner 18, 30 Aug 2019