Su Yin was called to the Singapore bar in 1996 and started her career as a civil litigation lawyer. In subsequent years, her main practice areas were corporate and finance law and she eventually specialised in non-contentious banking work. She spent a short stint in-house as head of a foreign bank's legal and compliance unit.
She advised financial institutions, government-linked companies, statutory boards, corporations and individuals on a wide variety of banking transactions before focussing on advisory work, cross-border general banking and trade finance matters and, most recently, professional support services.
Su Yin's transactional experience includes
- Acting as counsel to a member of a syndicate of lenders in relation to facilities totaling US$1.5 billion to the government of a South East Asian country.
- Acting as counsel to the lenders in relation to a US$29.56 million bill discounting facility involving the lease purchase of helicopters by agencies of the government of a South East Asian country.
- Acting as counsel to the lenders in relation to a US$50 million structured bilateral term loan facility to P.T. Pamapersada Nusantara, Indonesia.
- Acting as counsel to a Chinese bank in relation to a US$100 million uncommitted trade finance facility to a group of companies headquartered in Switzerland.
- Acting as counsel to the lenders in relation to a EUR 40 million syndicated uncommitted trade finance facility to Singapore-incorporated and foreign borrowers.
- Acting as counsel to a European bank in relation to bilateral trade finance facilities of up to US$15 million to a Singapore-incorporated borrower.
- Acting as counsel to various banks in relation to receivables purchase transactions involving obligors in various jurisdictions.
- Acting as counsel to three foreign banks on matters relating to SWIFT’s Trade Services Utility and Bank Payment Obligations and ESS-Databridge™.
Memberships / Directorships
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Law Society of England & Wales
- Member, Law Society of Singapore