Raymond Tong is a partner in the Capital Markets / Mergers & Acquisitions Practice Group.
Widely regarded as one of Singapore's leading capital markets lawyers, Raymond advises on both domestic and international matters and has worked on some of the most high-profile ECM deals across South East Asia in recent years. He is admitted in Singapore and England and Wales.
With over two decades of experience in the capital markets field, Raymond is ranked as a Band 1 leading lawyer in the region and “his knowledge of deal structuring is very useful, especially when it comes to cross-border transactions”, as described by a source according to Chambers Asia Pacific 2022. He has also been featured as one of Asia’s Top 15 Capital Markets lawyers in the region by Asian Legal Business 2022.
Raymond is a board member of Sustainable Finance Institute Asia Limited and Asia Venture Philanthropy Network (AVPN). He is also a member of the Audit Committee of the Methodist Welfare Services, a member of the Equity Capital Markets Committee and Continuing Professional Development Committee of the Law Society of Singapore and a member of the Disciplinary Committee of the Institute of Singapore Chartered Accountants.
- Acted for the joint bookrunners and underwriters in respect of the private placement of new units in Keppel Pacific Oak US REIT to raise gross proceeds of approximately US$65.0 million.
- Acted for the joint bookrunners and underwriters, in respect of the private placement of new units in Keppel DC REIT to raise gross proceeds of approximately S$204.3 million.
- Advised DBS Bank Ltd. on the S$2.1 billion renounceable underwritten rights issue of new ordinary shares by Sembcorp Marine Ltd, which was at the time of its launch, Singapore’s second largest rights issue in 2020.
- Advised the joint bookrunners and underwriters on the initial public offering of units in United Hampshire US Real Estate Investment Trust to raise approximately US$394.6 million.
- Advised the joint bookrunners and underwriters in the initial public offering of units in Prime US REIT on Singapore Exchange Securities Trading Limited, which raised gross proceeds of US$813 million, Singapore’s largest pure-play US REIT IPO for 2019.
- Advised the joint bookrunners and underwriters on Netlink NBN Trust's initial public offering on the Main Board of the Singapore Exchange Securities Trading Limited for US$1.68 billion. This is the biggest IPO in Singapore since 2011.
- Advised DBS, Citibank and UBS on the non-renounceable underwritten preferential offering of 241,988,877 units in Keppel DC REIT.
- Advised BNP Paribas and Credit Suisse as the Joint Lead Managers for the S$200 million convertible bonds issued by Keppel REIT, acting through RBC Investor Services Trust Singapore Limited, as trustee of Keppel REIT.
- Acted for TechnoPro Holdings, Inc. in connection with the approximately S$19 million sale of its entire stake in HRnetGroup Limited via a Regulation S block trade, with CLSA acting as placement agent.
- Advised DBS Bank Ltd. in respect of the proposed renounceable underwritten rights issue of up to 18,833,468,826 new ordinary shares in the capital of Sembcorp Marine Ltd, to raise gross proceeds of approximately S$1.5 billion (the "Rights Issue"). DBS Bank Ltd. was appointed as the sole financial adviser, manager and underwriter for the Rights Issue.
- Acted for JP Morgan and Maybank in Petronas’ RM1.77 billion sell down in MISC Bhd and KLCCP Stapled Group.
- Advised Leong Hup International Berhad (LHI) and its selling shareholders on LHI's RM1.03 billion (US$247 million) initial public offering on Bursa Malaysia, the country's largest offering in almost two years.
- Advised Aabar Investments PJS on its US$149 million sell down in RHB Bank Berhad.
- Advised RHB Bank Berhad and Credit Suisse on the placement of units by Malaysia’s Sunway REIT, which raised US$171 million.
- Advised a Middle Eastern state-owned investment company in relation to the sale of 74 million units in Pavilion REIT.
- Acted for Lotte Chemical Titan on its US$878 million initial public offering on the Bursa Malaysia.
- Acted for Ecoworld International Berhad on its US$650 million initial public offering on the Bursa Malaysia.
- Advised a Malaysian sovereign wealth fund in relation to the sale of 60 million shares in MISC Berhad.
- Advised the bookrunners in the initial public offering of PT Express Transindo Utama Tbk.
- Advised the bookrunners in the initial public offering of PT Prodia Widyahusada Tbk.
- Advised the bookrunners in the initial public offering of PT Kino Indonesia Tbk.
Memberships / Directorships
- Member, Industry Advisory Panel, ASEAN Capital Markets Forum (ACMF) and the ASEAN Working Committee on Capital Markets Development (WC-CMD) Joint Sustainable Finance Working Group
- Board member, Sustainable Finance Institute Asia Limited
- Board member, Asia Venture Philanthropy Network (AVPN)
Member Audit Committee, Methodist Welfare Services
- Member, Equity Capital Markets Committee, Law Society of Singapore
Continuing Professional Development Committee, Law Society of Singapore
- Disciplinary Committee of the Institute of Singapore Chartered Accountants
- The Law Society of England and Wales