Daryl is a Partner at Rajah & Tann Singapore LLP.
Daryl specialises in construction matters and his practice covers both front-end (advice, drafting and negotiation) and back-end (dispute resolution) work.
He has acted in and advised on a wide variety of domestic and international construction, engineering and infrastructure projects, ranging from coal-fired power plants, to desalination plants to data centres.
He has conducted international arbitrations in the SIAC, ICC and LCIA, and has acted for clients in mediations and statutory adjudications (in both local and foreign jurisdictions).
Daryl was part of the firm’s Integrated Regulatory Practice, where he advised government bodies and multi-national corporations on regulatory issues across the Southeast Asia region.
Daryl is admitted as a lawyer in both Australia and Singapore and also holds a degree in Behavioural Neuroscience.
Notable Cases & Transactions
International Arbitration / Litigation
- Acted for the owner and operator of power assets in the region on a US$180 million dispute over the design and construction of a 2x100 MW coal-fired power plant.
- Acted for the owner and operator of a data centre on a €60 million dispute in an LCIA arbitration. The 22MW Tier III data centre was designed and constructed on the basis of the NEC form of contract.
- Acted for a Mauritius state-owned entity in an SIAC arbitration on a dispute concerning the procurement of fuel.
- Acted for a contractor against the Government of the Democratic Republic of Timor Leste in an ICC arbitration on a dispute over the operation and maintenance of a power plant.
- Acted for an owner and operator of an out-of-pit crushing and conveying system in an SIAC arbitration.
- Acted for a contractor in an SIAC arbitration on a dispute over the construction of a 3x30,000 tonne silos and ancillary building works.
- Acted for a Mauritian bank in an SIAC arbitration on a dispute arising from fraudulent transactions under a loan agreement.
- Acted for a vendor in an SIAC arbitration on a dispute over the sale of two companies in Indonesia.
- Acted for a media company in an SIAC arbitration on a dispute concerning the provision of satellite services.
- Acted for an owner in Singapore court proceedings on a dispute concerning renovation works.
- Advised a multi-national engineering and technology company on the supply of automotive components in Southeast Asia.
- Advised an owner and operator of a power plant on a dispute involving earthwork construction.
- Representing an international building contractor in various disputes on the construction projects in Singapore, including prestige residential developments; mixed-use retail commercial and residential developments.
- Advised a company on a dispute concerning the construction of MOPU topside modules.
- Advised an Indonesian coal mining company on a dispute over a coal supply agreement.
- Advised a developer of a conservation project on a dispute over the provision of architectural services.
- Advised the owner and developer of an integrated property on an appeal of an AIAC award.
Transactional / Regulatory
- Acted for a large wastewater company on the design, build, finance and operation of a wastewater treatment plant.
- Advised the Personal Data Protection Commission (Singapore) on the implementation and interpretation of the Personal Data Protection Act 2012.
- Advised a Singapore statutory body on the ambit of its legal functions and powers.
- Acted for one of the largest Burmese conglomerates on the acquisition of its sugar business by a large multi-national corporation.
- Acted for the Coca-Cola Company on its acquisition of a bottling facility in Myanmar and joint venture with Pinya Manufacturing Company.
- Advised World Fuel Services on the distribution of fuel in Myanmar.
- Advised Facebook on various media regulations in Southeast Asia.
- Advised YouTube on content regulations in Myanmar.
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Law Institute of Victoria (Australia)
- Co-author, Litigation - International Courts, International Construction Disputes.
- Joint author, Myanmar chapter, Telecoms and Media 2014, Getting the Deal Through.
- Joint author, Myanmar chapter, Arbitration 2018, Getting the Deal Through.
- Joint author, Singapore chapter, Arbitration 2018, Global Legal Insights.