Cheryl Tan is a partner in Rajah & Tann Singapore LLP, and her areas of practice cover banking and finance, as well as debt capital markets. She acts for both lenders and borrowers in an extensive range of lending transactions, with a particular focus and interest in acquisition financing and venture debt financing transactions.
Cheryl also regularly advises on debt transactions including the issuance of private bonds, debt capital markets transactions, as well as structured financing deals. Her area of expertise includes advising both arrangers and issuers on bond listings, grant schemes and other debt related topics and issues.
Featured in Singapore Business Review’s 2020 list of most influential lawyers aged 40 and under, Cheryl is noted to be one of the most promising legal luminaries in the industry. She is dual-qualified in Singapore and New York, and has graduated from the National University of Singapore in 2007.
Cheryl was admitted as an Advocate and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore in 2008 and as an Attorney at Law in the State of New York in 2012.
Debt Capital Markets
- Acted for Singapore Press Holdings Limited in the update of its S$1 billion debt issuance programme and the issuance of S$150 million subordinated perpetual securities under the programme.
- Acted as Singapore deal counsel in the US$40 million issuance of Series 2019-1 Class A and Class B Principal At-Risk Variable Rate Notes by Manatee Re III. The transaction is a Rule 144A catastrophe bond issuance.
- Acted as Singapore deal counsel for Swiss Re American Corporation and Swiss Re Capital Markets on the issuance of the US$100 million Series 2019-1 Principal At-Risk Variable Rate Notes by First Coast Re II. The transaction is the first Rule 144A catastrophe bond issuance in Singapore.
- Acted for a growing telecommunication products distributor in relation to the structuring and issuance of exchangeable bonds.
- Acted for a leading social entertainment company in relation to the issuance of pre-IPO bonds.
- Acted for bondholders of Perisai Capital (L) Inc ("Perisai") in relation to issues arising from the default of the bonds issued by Perisai and the subsequent proposed debt restructuring and scheme of arrangement.
- Acted for bondholders of Rickmers in relation to issues arising from the default of the bonds issued by Rickmers.
Banking and Finance
- Acted for a Singapore lender to a Cayman investment holding entity in relation to a close to US$60 million mezzanine loan facility for the acquisition of shares in a transportation network company.
- Acted for Cleantech Solar Asia Pte Ltd in relation to a US$35 million facility granted by responsAbility SA to develop photovoltaic rooftop projects in the region.
- Acted for Cleantech Solar Asia Pte Ltd in relation to a close to S$40 million facility granted by the State Bank of India to its Indian subsidiary to develop photovoltaic rooftop projects in India.
- Acted as Singapore counsel to a global professional services firm with a focus on digitally-enabled intelligent operations in a global restructuring of its loan facilities including term facilities of up to US$650 million and swingline facilities of up to US$500 million.
- Acted for a real estate investment holding company with a diverse portfolio in service offices in relation to a S$135 million acquisition bridge loan facility.
- Acted for the Samwoh Group in relation to the bridge financing of a court-ordered minority buyout of shares within its group of companies.
- Acted for the Samwoh Group in relation to a S$40 million working capital term loan facility.
- Acted for the Singapore lender to the Indian subsidiary of a Singapore-listed company in the food and beverage section in relation to the grant of a US$30 million external commercial borrowing (ECB) loan.
- Acted as Singapore counsel to the FCI SA group of companies in relation to the grant of US$250 million term loan facilities and US$30 million revolving facilities from a syndicate of lenders.
- Acted for and continuing to act for the largest venture debt provider in the South-east Asian region in the provision of venture loans to start-up and growth stage companies in the region.
- Acted as Singapore counsel to a San Francisco based specialty-lending firm in loans involving high growth technology and non-technology companies in Singapore and Australia.
Memberships / Directorships
- Member, New York State Bar Association