Chandra has been a partner with Rajah & Tann Singapore LLP for more than 20 years with an active practice in commercial litigation and arbitration. He is the key contact with regards to Middle East disputes and is the Head of the Commercial Litigation practice group and the Co-Head of the Private Client practice group.
Chandra is recognised as one of the best lawyers in Singapore in the areas of litigation and trust & estates by his peers in the 11th Edition of The Best Lawyers in Singapore.
Chandra has been appointed by the President as a Justice of the Peace (JP) for a term of 5 years with effect from 1 September 2020 for his significant contributions to social services and the community at large in Singapore.
He remains very active as a Council Member in the Northwest Community Development Council (NWCDC). He was appointed as the Chairman of the SkillsFuture Standing Committee since September 2017 and has been the Chairman of the Organising Committee for Club 100 @ NWCDC annual dinner (which raises funds for the NWCDC Food Aid Fund for needy residents) from 2010 to date. Chandra also chairs the Rajah & Tann Foundation since its inception in 2011.
In recognition of his commendable contribution towards community services in Singapore, Chandra was presented with Bintang Bakti Masyarakat (Public Service Star) (BBM) and the Pingat Bakti Masyarakat (Public Service Medal) (PBM) at the 2015 and 2011 National Day Awards respectively.
Alongside his active practice, Chandra has been appointed as one of the Chairmen of the Citizenship Committee of Inquiry by the Minister for Home Affairs since June 2018. He is also a Fellow of the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators and the UK Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. He is also a member of SINDA Executive Committee since 2017 to date.
Chandra is the Vice Chairman of the Singapore Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (SICCI) with effect from 15 May 2020 and is the Chairman of the SME Centre at SICCI. He also sits on the Advisory Council on Community Relations in Defence (Employer & Business) (ACCORD (E&B)) Council as its representative.
To-date, Chandra is active in his alma mater where he previously served on the ACS Board of Governors from 1996 to 2015 and currently sits on the Anglo-Chinese School (International) Board of Management.
Chandra has extensive experience in various types of international arbitration and commercial litigation work with special emphasis on professional negligence claims involving accountants, auditors and lawyers. He has extensive experience in shareholders’ and partnership disputes and minority oppression claims. He handles employment disputes as well as property disputes. He acts for clients in a number of cross-border arbitration proceedings and also handles family matters including divorce proceedings, probate and trusts.
Probate & Trusts
- Cheo Yeoh & Associates LLC and anor v AEL and others  SGCA 29
- AEL & others v Cheo Yeoh & Associates LLC & another  SGHC 129
- Lee Chang-Rung and others v Leonard Loo LLP and another  SGHC 174
- Wong Kok Yee v Ng Ming San  SGHC 8
- Wong Ser Wan v Ng Cheong Ling  SGDC 93
- Teo Guan Seng v Tian Ah Poon in OS No. 1493/2004/W
- Anil Singh Gurm v J S Yeh & Co and anor  SGHC 151
- Anil Singh Gurm v J S Yeh & Co and anor  SGCA 05
- Anil Singh v J S Yeh & Co and anor  SGHC 221
- Streetsine Singapore Pte Ltd v Singapore Institute of Surveyors and Valuers & 21 others  SGHCR 1
- Streetsine Singapore Pte Ltd v Singapore Institute of Surveyors and Valuers & 21 others  SGHCR 18
- The Law Society of Singapore v Wong Sin Yee  5 SLR 1261
- The Law Society of Singapore v Wong Sin Yee  SGDT 13
- Law Society of Singapore v Chong Wai Yen Michael and others  SGHC 9
- Ong Jane Rebecca v PricewaterhouseCoopers and others  SGHC 106
- Ong Jane Rebecca v PricewaterhouseCoopers and others  SGHC 203
- Ong Jane Rebecca v PricewaterhouseCoopers and others  SGHC 146
- Frantonios Marine Services Pte Ltd & anor v Kay Swee Tuan practising as ST Kay & Co  SGHC 91
- Ong Jane Rebecca v PricewaterhouseCoopers and others  SGHC 29
- Vita Life Sciences Limited & Anor v Arthur Andersen & Anor  SGHC 85
- JSI Shipping (S) Pte Ltd v Messrs TeoFoongWongLCLoong (a firm)  SGCA 40
- JSI Shipping (S) Pte Ltd v Messrs TeoFoongWongLCLoong (a firm)  2 SLR 447 ;  SGHC 223
- Ong Jane Rebecca v Lim Lie Hoa  SGHC 254
- Autoacc Trading Pte Ltd v Collector of Land Revenue  SGAB 3
- Christina Au Mei Yin & Goh Bak Heng v Adela Lo Sook Ling  SGHC 314
- Grace Development Pte Ltd & Anor v Kassim Syed Ali and other actions  1 SLR 730
- Kassim Syed Ali & Ors v Grace Development Pte Ltd & Anor  2 SLR 393
- Group Exklusiv Pte Ltd v Diethelm Singapore Pte Ltd  4 SLR 582;  SGHC 247
- Kwee Seng Chio Peter v Biogenics Sdn Bhd  2 SLR 482;  SGHC 298
- Koh Ewe Chee v Koh Hua Leong & Anor  3 SLR 643; 2003] SGHC 24
- Koh Ewe Chee v Koh Hua Leong & Anor  SGHC 100
- Biogenics Sdn Bhd v Group Exklusiv Pte Ltd  CA
- Koh Tat Wan (Pte) Ltd v Collector of Land Revenuen in AB 2001.047
Minority Shareholders’ Disputes
- Kathryn Ma Wai Fong v Trillion Investment Pte Ltd & 2 ors  SGHC 79
- Ma Wai Fong Kathryn v Trillion Investment Pte Ltd and other matters  SGHC 88
- Ho Yew Kong v Sakae Holdings Ltd and other appeals and other matters  2 SLR 333;  SGCA 33
- Sakae Holdings Ltd v Gryphon Real Estate Investment Corp Pte Ltd and others (Foo Peow Yong Douglas, third party) and another suit  SGHC 100
- Sakae Holdings Ltd v Gryphon Real Estate Investment Corp Pte Ltd and others (Foo Peow Yong Douglas, third party) and another suit  SGHC 73
- Petroships Investment Pte Ltd v Wealthplus Pte Ltd (In Members’ Voluntary Liquidation)  SGHC 122 (CWU No. 119/2016)
- Petroships Investment Pte Ltd v Wealthplus Pte Ltd and others and another matter  SGCA 17
- Petroships Investment Pte Ltd v Wealthplus Pte Ltd and others  SGHC 145
- PT Makindo (formerly known as PT Makindo TBK) v Aperchance Co Ltd and 2 others  SGCA 19
- PT Makindo (formerly known as PT Makindo TBK) v Aperchance Co Ltd and 2 others  SGHC 221
- Low Tuck Kwong v Sia Sukamto  SGHC 159
- Low Tuck Kwong v Sia Sukamto  SGHC 147
- David H Wong v Timothy Seow Group Architects Pte Ltd (In Liquidation) & Timothy Seow  3 SLR (R) 698;  SGHC 110
- Jeffrey Henry Yap v Timothy Seow & 4 others  SGHC 6
- The Republic of the Philippines v Maler Foundation and others and other appeals  SGCA 66
- WestLB AG v Philippine National Bank & 9 others  SGHC 162
- Max Media FZ LLC v Nimbus Media Pte Ltd  SGHC 30
- Holcim (Singapore) Pte Ltd v Kwan Yong Construction Pte Ltd  SGHC 231;  2 SLR 193
- Alliance Management S.A. v Lane P Pendleton n another  SGHC 76
- Republic of the Philippines v Maler Foundation and others  SGCA 14
- Republic of the Philippines v Maler Foundation and others  SLR(R) 857
- Alliance Management S.A. v Lane P Pendleton n another  4 SLR 343; SGHC 133
- The Government of the Republic of the Philippines v Philippine International Air Terminals Co., Inc  1 SLR (R) 278 ;  SGHC 206
- A Kanesananthan v Singapore Ceylon Tamils’ Association  3 SLR 539;  SGHC 93
- Teo Soy Kin vs UOB & anor, Chu Chee Kuen & anor vs UOB & anor & Koh Kam Hah & anor vs UOB & anor (Consolidated)  SGHC 184
- Seah Teck Hoe v Hong Ah Leng & Ors  SGHC 184
- Acted for the Claimant in ARB53/09/CV.
- Acted for the Claimant in ARB128/09/JW.
- Acted for the Respondents in ARB87/11/AU.
- Acting for the Respondents in ARB089/19/PPD.
- Acted for the Claimants in arbitration proceedings under ICC Rules relating to the termination of a construction contract and lease agreement in the Philippines. The quantum involved in the arbitration proceedings was at least US$7.5million, and notwithstanding other types of declaratory relief sought, which encompassed a substantial portion of the value of the lease agreement.
- Acted in a claim by an international group of companies against a Sri Lankan institution in respect of the termination of a sports agreement.
- Acted for the Respondents, Nimbus Sport International Pte Ltd, in arbitration proceeding under the UNCITRAL Rules.
- Acted for the Claimants in an arbitration commenced pursuant to section 91 of the Co-operative Society Act read within the Arbitration Act.
- Notary Public and Commissioner for Oaths (Solicitors & Advocates)
- Advocate & Solicitor, Supreme Court of Singapore
- Solicitor, England & Wales
- Fellow, Singapore Institute of Arbitrators
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, UK
- Primary Panel, Singapore Institute of Arbitrators
- Professional Deputy (Personal Welfare and Property & Affairs), Office of the Public Guardian
- Vice Chairman, Singapore Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (SICCI) (May 2020 – May 2022)
- Chairman, SME Centre SICCI
- SICCI Representative, Advisory Council on Community Relations in Defence (Employer & Business) (ACCORD (E&B) Council. (August 2020 – August 2022)
- Council Member, Northwest Community Development Council (NWCDC) (2011 - Present)
- Chairman of SkillsFuture Standing Committee, NWCDC (2017 - Present)
- Chairman, Citizenship Committee of Inquiry (2020 - 2023)
- Chairman, Organising Committee for NWCDC Food Aid Fund (2010 - Present)
- Chairman, Club 100 @ NWCDC (2008 - Present)
- Member, Law Society of Singapore Inquiry Committee
- Independent Director, Centurion Corporation Limited (FKA SM Summit Holdings Limited)
- Member, Anglo-Chinese School (International) Board of Management (1995-1996, 1998 - Present)
- Member, SINDA’s Executive Committee (2017 - Present)
- Chairman, NWCDC Finance Standing Committee (2009-2017)
- Member, Anglo Chinese Schools’ Board of Governors (1996 – 2016)
- Member, Law Society of Singapore Inquiry Panel (2012 – 2015)
- Member, Anglo-Chinese School Board of Governors (1996 – 2015)
- Member, Selection Panel for the WeINNOVATE Aware of the People’s Association Awards Scheme (2012 – 2015)
- Member, Northwest Community Development Council (NWCDC) (2001 – 2011)
- Member, Anglo-Chinese School Old Boys’ Association Management Committee (1991 – 2011)
- Member, Law Society of Singapore Practising Certificates & Accountants’ Report Committee (2010)
- Member, Law Society of Singapore Investigative Tribunal (2009)
- Chairman, NWCDC Corporate Communications Standing Committee (2006 – 2009)
- Honorary Secretary, Anglo-Chinese School Old Boys’ Association Management Committee (2007 – 2009)
- Vice-Chairman, NWCDC Corporate Communications Standing Committee (2004 – 2006)
- Member, NWCDC Youth Executive Committee (2001 – 2006)
- Honorary Secretary, Anglo-Chinese School Old Boys’ Association Management Committee (1995 – 2005)
- Member, NWCDC Corporate Communications Committee (2001 – 2004)
- Member, Bouna Vista Inter-Racial Confidence Circle (2002 – 2004)
Awards / Publications
- Grand Award for Community Services in 2016, Prime Minister’s Office / People’s Association
- Bintang Bakti Masyarakat (Public Service Star) (BBM) National Day Awards 2015 for contribution towards community services
- Service to Education Award – Gold in 2014, Ministry of Education
- Pingat Bakti Masyarakat (Public Service Medal) (PBM), National Day Awards 2011 for contribution towards community services
- Community Long Service Award in 2012, Prime Minister’s Office / People’s Association
- Silver Medallion for Service to Education in 2005, Ministry of Education
- Bronze Medallion for Service to Education in 2003, Ministry of Education
- Contributor, article on “Family Business: Governance, Laws & Regulations in Singapore” to LexisNexis SA’s series “Comparative Law Solution, Short Study” for the exclusive benefit and use of the UAE Ministry of Justice (MoJ)
- Contributor, The Private Client Module on Lexis Practical Guidance – Commercial and Private Client in 2018
- Contributor, “Singapore Precedents of Pleadings” published by Sweet & Maxwell in 2006.
- “Some Contractual Approaches to the Problem of Inconsistent Awards in Multi-Party, Multi-Contract Arbitration Proceeding”, jointly written with Lim Wee Teck, to be published in Vol. 1, No. 2 of the Asian International Arbitration Journal published in November 2005, updated in 2009.
- “Restraining Foreign Proceedings; A Return to the Law of “Vexation and Oppression”, MLR Vol 30 No. 1 July 1988
- “New Rules on Forum Conveniens”, MLR Vol 29 No. 1 July 1987