Chandra has been a partner with Rajah & Tann Singapore LLP for more than 20 years with an active practice in commercial litigation. He is the key contact with regards to Middle East disputes and is the Head of the Commercial Litigation practice group and the Private Client practice group.
Chandra is recognised as one of the best lawyers in Singapore in the areas of litigation and trust & estates by his peers in the 11th Edition of The Best Lawyers in Singapore.
Chandra graduated from the National University of Singapore (NUS) with a LLB (Hons) in 1986 and then obtained his LLM from the University of Cambridge in 1989. He was awarded the Law Society of Singapore Book Prize and B.A. Mallal Prize for academic distinction in Law School. He was also a member of the NUS Team that won the International Division of the Philip C Jessup International Law Moot Competition in Washington DC in 1986. After obtaining his LLM, he returned to NUS as a lecturer where he taught Securities Regulation and Conflict of Laws at the Faculty of Law.
Alongside his active practice, Chandra has been appointed as one of the Chairmen of the Citizenship Committee of Inquiry by the Minister for Home Affairs since June 2018. He is also a Fellow of the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators and the UK Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. He remains very active as a Council Member in the Northwest Community Development Council (NWCDC). He was appointed as the Chairman of the SkillsFuture Standing Committee since September 2017 and has been the Chairman of the Organising Committee for Club 100 @ NWCDC annual dinner (which raises funds for the NWCDC Food Aid Fund for needy residents) from 2010 to date. He has also been appointed as a member of SINDA Executive Committee for 2017 to 2019.
In recognition of his commendable contribution towards community services in Singapore, Chandra was presented with Bintang Bakti Masyarakat (Public Service Star) (BBM) and the Pingat Bakti Masyarakat (Public Service Medal) (PBM) at the 2015 and 2011 National Day Awards respectively.
To-date, Chandra is active in his alma mater where he previously served on the ACS Board of Governors from 1996 to 2015 and currently sits on the Anglo-Chinese School (International) Board of Management.
Chandra has extensive experience in various types of arbitration and commercial litigation work with special emphasis on professional negligence claims, shareholders’ disputes, employment disputes including minority oppression actions as well as property disputes. He acts for clients in a number of cross-border arbitration proceedings and also handles family matters including divorce proceedings, probate and trusts.
- Streetsine Singapore Pte Ltd v Singapore Institute of Surveyors and Valuers & 21 others  SGHCR 1
- Ma Wai Fong Kathryn v Trillion Investment Pte Ltd and other matters  SGHC 88
- Streetsine Singapore Pte Ltd v Singapore Institute of Surveyors and Valuers & 21 others  SGHCR 18
- The Law Society of Singapore v Wong Sin Yee  5 SLR 1261
- Ho Yew Kong v Sakae Holdings Ltd and other appeals and other matters  2 SLR 333 ;  SGCA 33
- Sakae Holdings Ltd v Gryphon Real Estate Investment Corp Pte Ltd and others (Foo Peow Yong Douglas, third party) and another suit  SGHC 100
- Sakae Holdings Ltd v Gryphon Real Estate Investment Corp Pte Ltd and others (Foo Peow Yong Douglas, third party) and another suit  SGHC 73
- The Law Society of Singapore v Wong Sin Yee  SGDT 13
- Petroships Investment Pte Ltd v Wealthplus Pte Ltd (In Members’ Voluntary Liquidation)  SGHC 122 (CWU No. 119/2016)
- Petroships Investment Pte Ltd v Wealthplus Pte Ltd and others and another matter  SGCA 17
- Cheo Yeoh & Associates LLC and anor v AEL and others  SGCA 29
- Petroships Investment Pte Ltd v Wealthplus Pte Ltd and others  SGHC 145
- AEL & others v Cheo Yeoh & Associates LLC & another  SGHC 129
- The Republic of the Philippines v Maler Foundation and others and other appeals  SGCA 66
- Law Society of Singapore v Chong Wai Yen Michael and others  SGHC 9
- WestLB AG v Philippine National Bank & 9 others  SGHC 162
- Lee Chang-Rung and others v Leonard Loo LLP and another  SGHC 174
- Ong Jane Rebecca v PricewaterhouseCoopers and others  SGHC 106
- Ong Jane Rebecca v PricewaterhouseCoopers and others  SGHC 203
- Ong Jane Rebecca v PricewaterhouseCoopers and others  SGHC 146
- PT Makindo (formerly known as PT Makindo TBK) v Aperchance Co Ltd and 2 others  SGCA 19
- Max Media FZ LLC v Nimbus Media Pte Ltd  SGHC 30
- PT Makindo (formerly known as PT Makindo TBK) v Aperchance Co Ltd and 2 others  SGHC 221
- Low Tuck Kwong v Sia Sukamto  SGHC 159
- Low Tuck Kwong v Sia Sukamto  SGHC 147
- Ong Jane Rebecca v PricewaterhouseCoopers and others  SGHC 29
- Holcim (Singapore) Pte Ltd v Kwan Yong Construction Pte Ltd  SGHC 231;  2 SLR 193
- Vita Life Sciences Limited & Anor v Arthur Andersen & Anor  SGHC 85
- Frantonios Marine Services Pte Ltd & anor v Kay Swee Tuan practising as ST Kay & Co  SGHC 91
- Alliance Management S.A. v Lane P Pendleton n another  SGHC 76
- Wong Kok Yee v Ng Ming San  SGHC 8
- Republic of the Philippines v Maler Foundation and others  SGCA 14
- Republic of the Philippines v Maler Foundation and others  SLR(R) 857
- JSI Shipping (S) Pte Ltd v Messrs TeoFoongWongLCLoong (a firm)  SGCA 40
- JSI Shipping (S) Pte Ltd v Messrs TeoFoongWongLCLoong (a firm)  2 SLR 447 ;  SGHC 223
- Alliance Management S.A. v Lane P Pendleton n another  4 SLR 343; SGHC 133
- The Government of the Republic of the Philippines v Philippine International Air Terminals Co., Inc  1 SLR (R) 278 ;  SGHC 206
- David H Wong v Timothy Seow Group Architects Pte Ltd (In Liquidation) & Timothy Seow  3 SLR (R) 698;  SGHC 110
- Jeffrey Henry Yap v Timothy Seow & 4 others  SGHC 6
- Teo Guan Seng v Tian Ah Poon in OS No. 1493/2004/W
- Group Exklusiv Pte Ltd v Diethelm Singapore Pte Ltd  4 SLR 582;  SGHC 247
- Autoacc Trading Pte Ltd v Collector of Land Revenue  SGAB 3
- A Kanesananthan v Singapore Ceylon Tamils’ Association  3 SLR 539;  SGHC 93
- Kwee Seng Chio Peter v Biogenics Sdn Bhd  2 SLR 482;  SGHC 298
- Ong Jane Rebecca v Lim Lie Hoa  SGHC 254
- Wong Ser Wan v Ng Cheong Ling  SGDC 93
- Koh Ewe Chee v Koh Hua Leong & Anor  3 SLR 643 ; 2003] SGHC 24
- Koh Ewe Chee v Koh Hua Leong & Anor  SGHC 100
- Biogenics Sdn Bhd v Group Exklusiv Pte Ltd  CA
- Christina Au Mei Yin & Goh Bak Heng v Adela Lo Sook Ling  SGHC 314
- Koh Tat Wan (Pte) Ltd v Collector of Land Revenuen in AB 2001.047
- Grace Development Pte Ltd & Anor v Kassim Syed Ali and other actions  1 SLR 730
- Kassim Syed Ali & Ors v Grace Development Pte Ltd & Anor  2 SLR 393
- Teo Soy Kin vs UOB & anor, Chu Chee Kuen & anor vs UOB & anor & Koh Kam Hah & anor vs UOB & anor (Consolidated)  SGHC 184
- Seah Teck Hoe v Hong Ah Leng & Ors  SGHC 184
- Acted for the Claimant in ARB53/09/CV.
- Acted for the Claimant in ARB128/09/JW.
- Acted for the Respondents in ARB87/11/AU.
- Acting for the Respondents in ARB089/19/PPD.
- Acted for the Claimants in arbitration proceedings under ICC Rules relating to the termination of a construction contract and lease agreement in the Philippines. The quantum involved in the arbitration proceedings was at least US$7.5million, and notwithstanding other types of declaratory relief sought, which encompassed a substantial portion of the value of the lease agreement.
- Acted in a claim by an international group of companies against a Sri Lankan institution in respect of the termination of a sports agreement.
- Acted for the Respondents, Nimbus Sport International Pte Ltd, in arbitration proceeding under the UNCITRAL Rules.
- Acted for the Claimants in an arbitration commenced pursuant to section 91 of the Co-operative Society Act read within the Arbitration Act.
- Notary Public and Commissioner for Oaths (Solicitors & Advocates)
- Advocate & Solicitor, Supreme Court of Singapore
- Solicitor, England & Wales
- Fellow, Singapore Institute of Arbitrators
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, UK
- Primary Panel, Singapore Institute of Arbitrators
- Professional Deputy (Personal Welfare and Property & Affairs), Office of the Public Guardian
- Council Member, Northwest Community Development Council (NWCDC) (2011 - Present)
- Chairman of SkillsFuture Standing Committee, NWCDC (2017 - Present)
- Chairman, Citizenship Committee of Inquiry
- Chairman, Organising Committee for NWCDC Food Aid Fund (2010 - Present)
- Member, Club 100 @ NWCDC (2008 - Present)
- Member, Law Society of Singapore Inquiry Committee
- Independent Director, Centurion Corporation Limited (FKA SM Summit Holdings Limited)
- Member, Anglo-Chinese School (International) Board of Management (1995-1996, 1998 - Present)
- Member, SINDA’s Executive Committee (2017 - Present)
- Chairman, NWCDC Finance Standing Committee (2009-2017)
- Member, Anglo Chinese Schools’ Board of Governors (1996 – 2016)
- Member, Law Society of Singapore Inquiry Panel (2012 – 2015)
- Member, Anglo-Chinese School Board of Governors (1996 – 2015)
- Member, Selection Panel for the WeINNOVATE Aware of the People’s Association Awards Scheme (2012 – 2015)
- Member, Northwest Community Development Council (NWCDC) (2001 – 2011)
- Member, Anglo-Chinese School Old Boys’ Association Management Committee (1991 – 2011)
- Member, Law Society of Singapore Practising Certificates & Accountants’ Report Committee (2010)
- Member, Law Society of Singapore Investigative Tribunal (2009)
- Chairman, NWCDC Corporate Communications Standing Committee (2006 – 2009)
- Honorary Secretary, Anglo-Chinese School Old Boys’ Association Management Committee (2007 – 2009)
- Vice-Chairman, NWCDC Corporate Communications Standing Committee (2004 – 2006)
- Member, NWCDC Youth Executive Committee (2001 – 2006)
- Honorary Secretary, Anglo-Chinese School Old Boys’ Association Management Committee (1995 – 2005)
- Member, NWCDC Corporate Communications Committee (2001 – 2004)
- Member, Bouna Vista Inter-Racial Confidence Circle (2002 – 2004)
Awards / Publications
- Grand Award for Community Services in 2016, Prime Minister’s Office / People’s Association
- Bintang Bakti Masyarakat (Public Service Star) (BBM) National Day Awards 2015 for contribution towards community services
- Pingat Bakti Masyarakat (Public Service Medal) (PBM), National Day Awards 2011 for contribution towards community services
- Community Long Service Award in 2012, Prime Minister’s Office / People’s Association
- Silver Medallion for Service to Education in 2005, Ministry of Education
- Bronze Medallion for Service to Education in 2003, Ministry of Education
- Contributor, article on “Family Business: Governance, Laws & Regulations in Singapore” to LexisNexis SA’s series “Comparative Law Solution, Short Study” for the exclusive benefit and use of the UAE Ministry of Justice (MoJ)
- Contributor, The Private Client Module on Lexis Practical Guidance – Commercial and Private Client in 2018
- Contributor, “Singapore Precedents of Pleadings” published by Sweet & Maxwell in 2006.
- “Some Contractual Approaches to the Problem of Inconsistent Awards in Multi-Party, Multi-Contract Arbitration Proceeding”, jointly written with Lim Wee Teck, to be published in Vol. 1, No. 2 of the Asian International Arbitration Journal published in November 2005, updated in 2009.
- “Restraining Foreign Proceedings; A Return to the Law of “Vexation and Oppression”, MLR Vol 30 No. 1 July 1988
- “New Rules on Forum Conveniens”, MLR Vol 29 No. 1 July 1987