Nicholas is a litigator who has for more than 10 years advised clients at the cutting edge of technology. His experience has not only enabled him to help clients in fighting complex information technology and intellectual property based disputes, but also in strategising on how best to obtain and protect their intellectual property rights. The matters he has been involved in range from contractual disputes relating to software licensing, failed joint ventures involving the transfer of intellectual property, judicial site blocking for flagrantly infringing websites, and various patent, trade mark, copyright and registered design infringement cases. He has also been involved in general commercial disputes, and has also given food regulatory advice for various clients.
His work for the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA), and Daiso Industries have been cited in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific. He has also been named as one of Singapore’s 70 most influential lawyers aged 40 and under by the Singapore Business Review 2016, and is an active member of the Intellectual Property Committee of the Singapore Law Society.
- Assisted in representing an international IT solutions provider in an arbitration in Singapore under the ICC Rules commenced by a Malaysian Islamic bank in an IT implementation dispute.
- Advised and represented a well-known multi-national software company in an arbitration in Singapore under the SIAC Rules against an ex-distributor of their software for breach of software licensing agreements.
- Assisted in representing the Singapore Government against a multi-national IT solutions provider in relation to various disputes relating to the provision of various IT services and hardware.
- Advised a Global coal and LNG trading company in the implementation of a new software trading solution.
- Advised a prominent German automotive company on the setting up of an eMoney/eWallet platform in Asia Pacific.
- Advised a local statutory board on the implementation of various hardware and software solutions relating to the guidance of aircraft.
- Acted for a local integrated resort operator in carrying out UDRP proceedings against a cyber-squatter.
- Advised and represented a regional wealth management software provider in defending a claim by an international testing solution company for the payment of monies due under an IT contract, and raising a counterclaim for the failure to deliver an automated test bed.
Intellectual Property-Related Matters
- Advised a local solar energy production company in defending claims of patent infringement.
- Advised a local HR software solutions company in a claim for copyright infringement and breach of confidential information by a competitor started by ex-employees.
- Advised an international Sports channel provider in relation to allegations of breach of agreement by a local telecommunications company.
- Assisted in representing a prominent Chinese company in SIAC arbitration proceedings in Singapore commenced by Canadian parties for alleged breaches of a joint venture agreement, which encompassed a transfer of patents and technology in road recycling machinery.
- Advised a well-known integrated communications and media company on judicial site blocking in Singapore.
- Advised a Taiwanese beverage franchisor in relation to possible breaches of licensing agreement and IP infringement by a local franchisee.
- Acted for a Chinese bicycle rental company in opposing various trademarks filed by a competitor.
- Advised the franchisee of popular frozen yoghurt chain in relation to unauthorised outlets by a Chinese sub-franchisee in China.
- Advised a prominent international fashion house in relation to carrying out an intellectual property enforcement program.
- Advised a local licensee of a massive multiplayer online role-playing game in relation to possible IP infringement by parties running the game off unofficial servers.
- Assisted in acting for a well-known multi-national software company in carrying out an IP enforcement raid against an official distributor of its software who was in fact, manufacturing and selling counterfeit copies of its software.
General Disputes Matters
- Acted for a conference organizer in defending claims for unpaid invoices.
- Acted for a prominent multi-national software company in defending defamation proceedings commenced by an ex-local distributor against it and its employees.
- Acted for a local metal works company in defending a claim for monies payable arising out of an alleged trust.
- Advised a Japanese chemical company in relation to a dispute relating to the finalisation of a closing date balance sheet in the sale of a company to an Indian entity.
- Acted for a prominent international software company in obtaining orders for depositions in Singapore to be taken in assistance of US Court proceedings, pursuant to letters of request.
- Acted for a junior tennis player in relation to defamatory Facebook postings by the father of a competitor.
Memberships / Directorships
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Law Society of Singapore Intellectual Property Committee 2017 and 2018