Nicholas is a litigator who has for more than 10 years advised clients at the cutting edge of technology. His experience has not only enabled him to help clients in fighting complex information technology and intellectual property based disputes, but also in strategising on how best to obtain and protect their intellectual property rights. The matters he has been involved in range from contractual disputes relating to software licensing, failed joint ventures involving the transfer of intellectual property, judicial site blocking for flagrantly infringing websites, and various patent, trade mark, copyright and registered design infringement cases. He also leads one of the only food regulatory practices in Singapore and has provided advice on food labelling and importation to various clients.
He is part of an intellectual property practice that has consistently been ranked tier 1 by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, where he has been described as having “strong technical knowledge”. He has also been named as one of Singapore’s 70 most influential lawyers aged 40 and under by the Singapore Business Review 2016, and is an active member of the Intellectual Property Committee of the Singapore Law Society.
- Acted for a Swiss-based IT vendor in an ICC Arbitration against a Malaysian bank arising out of a failed implementation of a core banking system.
- Advised and represented a well-known multi-national software company in an arbitration in Singapore under the SIAC Rules against an ex-distributor of their software for breach of software licensing agreements.
- Assisted in representing the Singapore Government against a multi-national IT solutions provider in relation to various disputes relating to the provision of various IT services and hardware.
- Acted for a local software distributer in relation against a local software reseller in a claim for unpaid monies under a software distributorship agreement.
- Acted for, advised and negotiated on behalf of a German automaker in relation to their procurement of licenses for various IT-related solutions, and the setting up of an eMoney/eWallet platform in the Asia Pacific region.
- Acted for, advised and negotiated on behalf of a global coal and LNG trading company in the implementation of various IT-related solutions including a commodities trading platform.
- Advised an Indian software vendor against a local statutory board in relation to a software dispute arising out of non-delivery of a software architecture proposed by a sub-contractor.
- Advised a local statutory board on the implementation of various hardware and software solutions relating to the guidance of aircraft.
- Acted for a local integrated resort operator in carrying out UDRP proceedings against a cyber-squatter.
Intellectual Property and Media-Related Matters
- Acted for the Sunseap Group in defending claims of alleged patent infringement by Sun Electric Pte Ltd in relation to a business model that uses renewable energy credits derived from solar energy to offset electricity consumption from the national grid. This matter has generated many reported cases that has shaped the landscape for interlocutory applications for patent infringement matters in Singapore.
- Advised a Japanese construction company in relation to the results of a software license compliance audit carried out by an international software company.
- Advised a local HR software solutions company in a claim for copyright infringement and breach of confidential information by a competitor started by ex-employees.
- Advised a local singer and media personality in relation to her recording and management contract.
- Advised a local media company in relation to intellectual property clearance procedures for E&O insurance relating to a documentary they were producing.
- Acted for a local food court operator in relation to allegations of trade mark infringement by a local restaurant chain in relation to the signage on a stall within one of their food courts.
- Advised an international sports channel provider in relation to allegations of breach of intellectual property license agreement by a local telecommunications company.
- Assisted in representing a prominent Chinese company in SIAC arbitration proceedings in Singapore commenced by Canadian parties for alleged breaches of a joint venture agreement, which encompassed a transfer of patents and technology in road recycling machinery.
- Advised a well-known integrated communications and media company on judicial site blocking in Singapore.
- Advised a Taiwanese beverage franchisor in relation to possible breaches of licensing agreement and IP infringement by a local franchisee.
- Acted for a Chinese bicycle rental company in opposing various trademarks filed by a competitor.
- Advised the franchisee of popular frozen yoghurt chain in relation to unauthorised outlets by a Chinese sub-franchisee in China.
- Advised a prominent international fashion house in relation to carrying out an intellectual property enforcement program.
- Advised a local licensee of a massive multiplayer online role-playing game in relation to possible IP infringement by parties running the game off unofficial servers.
- Assisted in acting for a well-known multi-national software company in carrying out an IP enforcement raid against an official distributor of its software who was in fact, manufacturing and selling counterfeit copies of its software.
- Advised various foreign food distributors on food labelling, and inspection requirements in Singapore.
- Advised a local solar film distributor in relation to false claims posted on Facebook by a competitor.
- Acted for a local conference organizer in defending claims for unpaid invoices by a sub-contractor.
- Acted for a prominent multi-national software company in defending defamation proceedings commenced by an ex-local distributor against it and its employees.
- Acted for a local metal works company in defending a claim for monies payable arising out of an alleged trust.
- Advised a Japanese chemical company in relation to a dispute relating to the finalisation of a closing date balance sheet in the sale of a company to an Indian entity.
- Acted for a prominent international software company in obtaining orders for depositions in Singapore to be taken in assistance of US Court proceedings, pursuant to letters of request.
- Acted for a junior tennis player in relation to defamatory Facebook postings by the father of a competitor.
Memberships / Directorships
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Law Society of Singapore Intellectual Property Committee 2017 to 2019
- Member of the Executive Committee, ASEAN Law Association (Singapore) 2020