Kevin has a broad-based disputes practice focused on international arbitration and commercial litigation.
Kevin graduated with First Class Honours from King’s College London, where he was awarded the Law School Prize for Jurisprudence and the Linklaters Prize for Administrative law. Prior to entering private practice, he served as a Justices’ Law Clerk to the Chief Justice, Judges of Appeal and Judges of the Supreme Court, an Assistant Registrar of the Supreme Court and a Deputy Public Prosecutor/Deputy Senior State Counsel in the Attorney-General’s Chambers.
Kevin was also an adjunct tutor for Equity and Trusts and a teaching fellow for Company Law at the National University of Singapore. He is an accredited mediator with the Singapore Mediation Centre.
In 2015, Kevin was selected as a Singapore Academy of Law Scholar and was seconded to Essex Court Chambers (London) where he worked with leading barristers and Queen’s Counsel. In 2017, he was also placed on the Young Amicus Curiae panel.
Kevin’s experience includes the following:
- Acting for a State in an UNCITRAL Arbitration relating to a water concession agreement concerning claims in excess of US$1 billion.
- Acting for an Indonesian fund against a conglomerate in the Philippines in a SIAC Arbitration over toll road concessions in South East Asia concerning claims in excess of US$500 million.
- Advising a tobacco company on setting aside an arbitral award in relation to an arbitration under the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law Rules of Arbitration (as revised in 2010) involving claims in excess of US$4 billion.
- Acting for Indonesian companies in an ICC arbitration arising from a joint venture in Indonesia to develop and operate a 2.6 million cubic meter oil storage complex.
- Acting for a Fintech company in a SIAC Arbitration relating to various technical projects.
- Acting for a Malaysian company and a company registered in the Marshall Islands in an oil and gas dispute before the Singapore International Commercial Court.
- Acting for the Inland Revenue of Singapore in a claim for damages and restitution of substantial tax refunds obtained by a taxpayer through a tax avoidance arrangement.
- Acting as lead counsel for a Singaporean company involved in importing and exporting parquet flooring in a dispute relating to a loan in the Singapore High Court.
- Acting for SMRT in relation to the privatisation offer by Temasek and the related court proceedings involving a scheme of arrangement.
- Acting for joint venture partners in a court dispute relating to the handover of premises by the former Turf City Operators.
Memberships / Directorships
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law (2010-present)
- Member, Law Society of Singapore (2010-present)
- Member, International Relations Committee, Law Society of Singapore (2017-present)
- Co-author (with Paul Tan) of “Kinks in the SIAC-SIMC Arb-Med-Arb Protocol”, Singapore Law Gazette (January 2018)