Jin Rui is a Partner in Rajah & Tann Singapore's practice groups of Mergers & Acquisitions and Regional Practice.
Jin Rui's core areas of practice are in mergers and acquisitions, private equity investments, venture capital financing and fundraising, cross-border transactions, joint ventures, corporate restructurings and general corporate, commercial and employment law. He regularly acts for and advises international clients, conglomerates, start-ups, and private equity and venture capital funds in their corporate transactions and on regulatory issues.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Advised I Squared Capital, a US-based private equity firm with a focus on global infrastructure investments, in its concurrent acquisitions of Mateen Cloud Ventures, Infofabrica group and Cloud Kinetics group of companies and subsequent restructuring and merger into a consolidated group providing cloud migration and managed services.
- Advised Vitol Marine in its 100% acquisition of Singapore-based bunkering specialist Sinanju Tankers Holdings.
- Advised Sumitomo Corporation and Kawasaki Kisen Kaisha Ltd in their corporate joint venture and acquisition of shares from Yinson Holdings Berhad in an FPSO project in Brazil.
- Advised Baird Capital and various individual shareholders in the sale of Boston Plastics (Shanghai), a manufacturer of plastic injected molded components, to US Farathane Corp. by way of a competitive bid process.
- Advised Hind Group in its disposal of 100% of Naumi Services Pte. Ltd. which owns the Naumi Liora hotel in Singapore to 8M Real Estate, a property investment group, at a consideration of S$76.5 million.
- Advised Frasers Property Limited in its disposal of 100% of the share capital in Frasers Hospitality Investment Holding (Philippines) Pte. Ltd. which indirectly owns 69 condominium units operated as "Fraser Place Manila" serviced apartments in Manila to Bond Capital Partners at a consideration of S$45.3 million.
- Advised the founder of Helius Technologies in the sale of a majority stake to TechnoPro Inc, a staffing services Japanese company listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange.
- Advised STMicroelectronics, Europe's largest semiconductor chip maker, in its sale of shares in Veredus Laboratories to Sekisui Chemical which is listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange.
- Advised Credence Partners, a Singapore-based private equity firm, in its 100% acquisition of Fassler Gourmet, a seafood import and processing company.
- Advised Oxley Holdings Limited, an SGX-listed property developer, in its acquisition of 100% of Centra Cove, a real estate development and investment holding company.
- Advised SLB Development Ltd, an SGX-listed property developer, in its disposal of 100% of Wellprime Pte. Ltd. which owns a freehold industrial property in Geylang, to Jun Yuan Holdings.
Venture Capital Financing
- Advised Tessa Therapeutics in its Series E fundraising round of US$130 million led by Temasek Holdings which includes EDBI, Heliconia, Karst Peak and Far East Ventures among its investors.
- Advised IF3 Capital, a Singapore-based investment fund, in its investment into a silicon photonics company that was majority-owned by A*STAR.
- Advised OneBerry Technologies, a Singapore-based security firm, in its US$22 million Series A fundraising round led by CMIA Capital Partners.
- Advised a Korean private equity fund in a post-Series B investment in an e-commerce platform by way of convertible bonds.
- Advised online grocer, HappyFresh, in its Series C fundraising round led by Mirae Asset-Naver Growth Fund which includes Grab Ventures, LINE Ventures and Singha Ventures among its investors, and post-Series C bridge financing round by Samena Groceries Holdings and Naver Corporation.
- Advised Provident Growth in its investment by way of convertible and exchangeable loans and co-investment with the International Finance Corporation in GoPay's Series A / GoJek's Series F fundraising round.
- Advised DocDoc, a medical technology start-up based in South-east Asia, in its pre-Series B convertible note fundraising round which includes Adamas Finance Asia (listed on the London Stock Exchange), Cyberport (owned by the Government of Hong Kong) and Apis Partners among its investors.
- Advised Circles Life, a Singapore digital telco, in its Series A fundraising round.
- Advised Shohoz, a Bangladesh-based ridesharing and ticketing platform, in its Series A1 fundraising round led by Golden Gate Ventures and Vostok New Ventures.
- Advised Provident Growth in its investment in Pomelo Fashion Pte. Ltd. during its the Series C fundraising round.
- Advised an investor in its investments in Intra-ImmuSG, a company researching antibodies for cancer therapy.
- Advised Sunday Ins, a Southeast Asia-based InsurTech startup, in its convertible note issuance to investors including SCB10X, LINE Ventures, Vertex Ventures and Quona Capital.
- Advised Kaodim Group, a Malaysia-based start-up, in its Series B fundraising round of US$7 million.
- Advised global IT services company, UST Global, as lead investor in the US$5.2 million Series A fundraising round of MyDoc, a healthtech start-up.
- Advised Quona Capital as lead investor in the pre-Series A fundraising round of Bukuwarung, a financial solutions platform.
- Advised PT Esensi Solusi Buana, a restaurant technology platform, in its Series A fundraising round led by Beenext and AC Ventures.
- Advised Mistletoe Inc, a VC fund founded by Taizo Son, in its investment in Skin Inc Global, a beauty and skincare company, and its investment in Craft Health, a start-up producing personalised medicines and supplements.
- Advised Wilmar International, an SGX-listed company, in its joint venture with the Great Wall group for the production and sale of sugar and its by-products in Myanmar.
- Advised Pintec Technology Holdings, a NASDAQ-listed FinTech company, in its joint venture with UOB Ltd for the provision of credit services and solutions in Singapore.
- Advised Sony Life Insurance in its joint venture with Starts Securities to carry on financial advisory business in Singapore.
- Advised M17 Entertainment Limited in its joint venture with a partner to carry on the business of video entertainment and live streaming services.
- Advised Petroleum Trade Lao Public Company in its joint venture with Puma Energy, a subsidiary of Trafigura Group, for the supply and distribution of fuel in Laos.
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Co-Author, Relevance and Use of VIMA Documents in Southeast Asia, Venture Capital Investment Model Agreements (VIMA) Handbook (2020)