Dr Clarisse Girot is an Advisor with the Technology, Media & Telecommunications practice in Rajah & Tann Singapore.
Clarisse graduated from the Law Faculty of the University of Paris II Panthéon-Assas, with specialisations in private law and intellectual property. She holds a Magister Juris (M.Jur) of the University of Oxford (1994) and a Ph.D. in comparative law from the Tilburg Institute for Law and Technology (TILT) of the University of Tilburg in the Netherlands (2001, cum laude).
She is also the Director of the first Asia-Pacific office of the US-based Future of Privacy Forum (FPF) in Singapore since August 2021. The FPF is a world-renowned non-profit organisation that serves as a catalyst for privacy leadership and scholarship, advancing principled data practices in support of emerging technologies.
Clarisse was until recently leading the Asian Business Law Institute (ABLI)’s Data Privacy Project where her key focus was on the convergence of data protection laws and regulations of cross-border data transfers in Asia. She was appointed as ABLI Senior Fellow in an honorary role to perpetuate this work of regional convergence.
Prior to coming to Singapore in 2016, Clarisse was Counsellor to the President of the French Data Protection Authority (CNIL), then also Chair of the Article 29 Working Party, the group of EU Data Protection Authorities. Clarisse is also appointed as member of the Global Reference Panel of the Global Privacy Assembly (GPA), the premier global forum for data protection regulators, and of the Data Protection Authority of Jersey.
- “China’s New Comprehensive Data Protection Law: Context, Stated Objectives, Key Provisions”, FPF blog, August 2021
- “Singapore Data Protection Law Amendments: Practical implications”, Privacy Laws & Business International Review, April 2021
- “Data Transfers after Schrems II: Reflections from the Asia-Pacific”, Privacy Laws & Business International Review, January 2021
- “Cross-border data protection needs less formal, bottom-up approach”, op-ed, Singapore Business Times, 27 Aug 2020
- “Tracer, non pas traquer : TraceTogether, l’application mobile de lutte contre le covid-19 de Singapour”, Dalloz Actualités, April 2020
- “Transferring Personal Data in Asia: A path to legal certainty and regional convergence” (ABLI, May 2020), winner of the Future of Privacy Forum Paper for Policymakers Award (2021)
- “Regulations of Cross-border Transfers of Personal Data in Asia”, Clarisse Girot (ed.), ABLI Legal Convergence Series, (2018)
- Member, Global Reference Panel (GRP) of the Global Privacy Assembly (GPA)
- Senior Fellow, Asian Business Law Institute
- Member, Data Protection Authority of Jersey
- Advisor, The Future Society
- Member, Asian Privacy Scholars Network (APSN)