Cindy’s main areas of practice are in private mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructurings and general corporate law. She has been involved in sale and purchase of companies and business, as well as advising on a wide range of cross-border corporate transactions.
Cindy is qualified in Singapore and England and Wales, and has practiced with a Magic Circle firm in London as well as an international law firm prior to joining Rajah & Tann Singapore LLP.
She started out in the corporate department of one of the Big 4 law firms in Singapore before spending 2 years in London during which, she has worked on major cross-border investments, private and public mergers and acquisitions, and other corporate transactions. Upon her return to Singapore, Cindy worked in the transactions department of O'Melveny & Myers LLP.
Prior to joining Rajah & Tann Singapore LLP, Cindy was the standalone counsel covering the Asia Pacific region for the Hotelbeds and Pacific World group of businesses under the Specialist Travel sector of TUI Travel PLC (now TUI Group), a leading tourism business listed on the London Stock Exchange in the FTSE index.
Cindy therefore has rich experience in advising companies – whether it is handling major corporate transactions as an external counsel, or advising on and overseeing corporate, legal and regulatory affairs for businesses in Asia Pacific as an internal counsel.
- Acted as counsel to private equity investors in their investment in a Singapore company which operates a time based online discount reservation portal for restaurants and related services.
- Acted as Singapore counsel to Advent International in their investment in QuEST Global Services Pte. Ltd., a global engineering solutions provider.
- Acted as counsel for the vendors in their sale of a majority stake in a Singapore company with subsidiaries/schools in Indonesia to a private equity fund.
- Acted as Singapore counsel for Mitsui & Co Ltd in relation to its investment in Malaysia through its affiliate, KMB DL Investment Singapore Pte Ltd, by way of a joint venture with Longson Food Products to manufacture and sell processed tomato products.
- Acted as counsel for the vendor in their sale of the entire issued share capital of F.S. Mackenzie Limited (a UK company) to subsidiary of Singapore Post Limited's in a S$14.8 million deal.
- Acted as counsel to Geostr Corporation in their joint venture with Robin Village International (Pte) Ltd and Marubeni-Itochu Steel Pte Ltd to manufacture and supply precast tunnel segments to the Singapore and Malaysia markets.
- Acted as counsel for the investment arm of a pharmaceutical conglomerate in the United States in their pre-IPO investment in a Singapore company. The Singapore company is now listed on Catalist.
- Acted as counsel for Phillip Capital Group in their acquisition of HwangDBS Commercial Bank Plc in Cambodia from HwangDBS (Malaysia) Bhd (a Malaysian financial services group) in a US$40 million deal.
- Managed the internal restructuring of business divisions within the Pacific World group companies in Asia Pacific.
- Acted as counsel to a listed company in Singapore in relation to on potential collaborative matter with non-profit organization in respect of its timbre plantations in Indonesia.
- Acted for a private Indonesian company in its acquisition financing with respect to a leveraged buyout of certain pulp businesses in the United States of America.
- Advising a Chinese company on the acquisition financing with respect to its leveraged buy-out of certain pulp businesses in Halsey, Oregon - US$48 million.
- Advised on and drafted the scheme documentation in relation to the recommended cash offer for Imperial Chemical Industries plc by Akzo Nobel N.V. (by way of a scheme of arrangement) - US$15.8 billion (£8 billion).
- Acted as counsel for a Saudi-based telecommunications group in its acquisition of 35% stake in one of the largest telecom operators in the Middle East region.
- Acted for a private equity firm in the establishment of 4 real estate joint venture companies in India.
- Acted for a private UK company in its share capital redenomination exercise (involving court-sanctioned capital reduction).
- Acted for Smith & Nephew plc in its acquisition of Plus Orthopedics, a Swiss orthopedics business in a US$899 million deal.
- Acted as counsel in the acquisition of System Access Limited by SunGard Data Systems Inc. (through SunGard Asia Pacific) in a S$120.2 million deal.
- Acted for Deutsche Bank A.G. (Singapore), independent financial adviser to SembCorp Logistics Limited in Toll Holdings Limited’s takeover for SembCorp Logistics Limited - US$923.97 million (S$1.4 billion)
- Advised on and drafted offer and ancillary documentation in connection with the conditional cash offer for Global Active Limited by OSIM International Limited.
- Acted for Société Générale Group’s in its reorganization of the private banking division in Singapore and Hong Kong.
Memberships / Directorships
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Law Society of Singapore